JDM style

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
I always thought that the JDM style of fish keeping was ridiculous. I am so glad to see that it has fallen out of favor, so much as to be criticized now. Now we just need to see the ''Baller'' fish keeper trend fall to the wayside.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I always thought that the JDM style of fish keeping was ridiculous. I am so glad to see that it has fallen out of favor, so much as to be criticized now. Now we just need to see the ''Baller'' fish keeper trend fall to the wayside.
What’s the baller style? Expensive equipment?

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
JDM style was ridiculous, and is right at one end of the stocking spectrum. Right at the other end of the stocking spectrum is nature.

Although we can't replicate nature, some people, sadly, thought it was good to replicate the other end of the spectrum, and there are a lot of images of such tanks still about.

Thankfully, it doesn't seem right common now, certainly not on here anyway.

Part of me longs for the day when a new young arrogant member joins us and the first thing they do is proudly post pictures of their JDM style pride and joy.

MFK entertainment at it's very best, lol.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
So do I have it right that JDM is extremely overstocking on all the large predatory fish?
Cause I think having 3 pacu and 3 leporinus in a 60 gallon years ago qualifies…
Or would I have to add an rtc and arowana to be considered?

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I just looked up a bunch of videos of these style tanks. From what I’m seeing, they’re packed but the fish are fat, active and healthy looking and adult sized. If the conditions were bad, why would they be in good shape and how would they get to such large sizes? Looks like a lot of work though and it doesn’t look much different than rift cichlid stocking, I do know firsthand that rifties are a lot of work.

So do I have it right that JDM is extremely overstocking on all the large predatory fish?
My first tank, when I used to listen to LFS employees, was a 20g with a pacu, Oscar, clown knife, 2JDs, 2 convicts, type of pike cichlid, common pleco and a few others I can’t remember. Then at the advice of the same employee, I upgraded to a 60g and thought I was good. This was in the 80s…long before the web lol

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
It depends on the sizes. If they all were 2", you might have been fine, even with an RTC and arowana added.

I just looked up a bunch of videos of these style tanks. From what I’m seeing, they’re packed but the fish are fat, active and healthy looking and adult sized. If the conditions were bad, why would they be in good shape and how would they get to such large sizes? Looks like a lot of work though and it doesn’t look much different than rift cichlid stocking, I do know firsthand that rifties are a lot of work.
Those fish weren't raised in those tanks and I guess didn't live for long either in those tanks... as I guessed before, many probably died (if not rehomed) within several months.

Reactions: deeda and Deadeye

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
It depends on the sizes. If they all were 2", you might have been fine, even with an RTC and arowana added.

Those fish weren't raised in those tanks and I guess didn't live for long either in those tanks... as I guessed before, many probably died (if not rehomed) within several months.
Ok gotcha, how nice they looked is what had me confused lol

Reactions: Deadeye

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
my first "big" tank was a 55 20 years ago in my undergrad.
Seemed huge, water changes were a nightmare- i bought walmart bottled water for every water change usually 8-10 3 gallon containers.
I had a huge oscar, red devil, several clown loaches, a pair on cons, syno erupterus, feeders that lived and a huge blue crayfish. lasted 4 years until i had to break it down and was couch surfing for almost a year, living in a used book store and clay factory. My parents sold the fish and tank but never had HITH ICK or anything else.
20 years and 20 tanks later i have a slew of 180's but would love a 400-600 tank.

I will state for the years and years i lurked on this site without becoming a member the chastising and bullying of new members trying to learn and gain new perspective was very off putting. just as off putting as those who only want the "most aggressive" of anything be it fish or dog or car. glad the punisher skulls are gone- wish the aggressiveness would end to.

if more senior members could be like thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter i think there would be less hobbyist giving up on the hobby

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store