Firemouth Shoal or Cichlid Mix?

Xnhx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2022
I am currently in the process of setting up a 75 gallon as an upgrade from my 55 gallon. I have 1 adult male firemouth, 5 tiger barbs, and 6 rainbowfish as well. I may leave the schooling fish in the 55 but they are honestly all some of the most docile fish, even the tiger barbs, so who knows. My question is whether I should add 3-4 more FMs in the 75 or to add 1-2 different CA/SA cichlids in with him. I've been looking at blue acara and severums but im really not sure whether to add more FMs or a mix. Any input is appreciated.

Xnhx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2022
How long have the current fish been together?
Its been about 6 months now. Only aggression that comes is actually from the rainbowfish chasing each other. Even the barbs have never nicked aside from when I introduced a few more barbs which I lost awhile back.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
If you don't feel like playing musical tanks with cichlids (which you will probably do over the course of the next few years), just up the number of barbs or rainbow fish in the 75 g to over 10, pick which shoal to increase.

Reactions: CrazyPhishMan

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In nature FMs are a shoaling species, so to me, that would be the best case scenario for the long run.
Although an adult male might be reluctant to accept others if its been a loner a while.
The best way to do it might be to set up the 75, and put all FMs in at the same time, or the new FMs in first for a couple days, then add the adult.
I wouldn't add the older adult in first, before the others.
What do you mean by adult? FMs can reach 10"+ as adults

Xnhx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2022
In nature FMs are a shoaling species, so to me, that would be the best case scenario for the long run.
Although an adult male might be reluctant to accept others if its been a loner a while.
The best way to do it might be to set up the 75, and put all FMs in at the same time, or the new FMs in first for a couple days, then add the adult.
I wouldn't add the older adult in first, before the others.
What do you mean by adult? FMs can reach 10"+ as adults
I mean adult as he is over 5" now. Not fully grown though. 10"? I have only ever heard people say 6-7" and even 7" seemed to be rare. I do plan on adding to my school's if space allows once I figure out the main fish. I am leaning towards more FMs though.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I mean adult as he is over 5" now. Not fully grown though. 10"? I have only ever heard people say 6-7" and even 7" seemed to be rare. I do plan on adding to my school's if space allows once I figure out the main fish. I am leaning towards more FMs though.
If you have a confirmed male, then your best bet would be to get confirmed females, about 3-4 to go with the lone male.

Reactions: HybridFinatic

Xnhx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2022
If you have a confirmed male, then your best bet would be to get confirmed females, about 3-4 to go with the lone male.
I do have a confirmed male, however, since they form monogamous pairs and get aggressive and territorial during spawning, do you think it's smarter to get 4 females and deal with occasional spawning aggression? Or should I do all males and ensure proper cover and territory to keep an even level of aggression?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I do have a confirmed male, however, since they form monogamous pairs and get aggressive and territorial during spawning, do you think it's smarter to get 4 females and deal with occasional spawning aggression? Or should I do all males and ensure proper cover and territory to keep an even level of aggression?
Don't get all males for that small foot print. There's no way you will have enough territory unless you get an 8 foot or longer tank. Best to add 4 females.

Xnhx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2022
Don't get all males for that small foot print. There's no way you will have enough territory unless you get an 8 foot or longer tank. Best to add 4 females.
Fair enough. I'll do my best to get all females but I've never seen any at my LFS big enough to confidently sex them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store