Amonia won’t go lower than 0,25

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
The tank where I got the seeded media was much smaller than my current tank (70 gallon vs. 125 gallons) and was lightly stocked which is why i dosed 5-6ppm liquid ammonia for a few weeks until the colony was able to precess it in a 12h period.
Hello; I still say you did not have to do the "fishless cycle" process. It is not the volume of water that counts in cycling. The same fish in a 125 and the identical same fish in a 75 will have the same "bioload" and the same size bb population needed. I have seeded from small tanks to large tanks many times. The trick is to start with an equal or small amount of fish mass that was in the small tank and slowly add more fish over time. Add a fish or two and give the bb time to adjust up before adding more fish in a week or few.
I was feeding twice a day,
Hello; twice a day may be too much or even once a day can be. I learned the hard way about my overfeeding. I now feed much less and even have gone to "fasting days" each week. My first WAG is the overfeeding will be the root of the issue. I very well may be wrong tho.

Reactions: clm08k

CrazyFishLady1201

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2017
Panama
I am not 100% sure that you are under filtered for the fish that you listed in an earlier post, but adding more media to the existing filter may help the situation until you are able to add a second filter. The media provided by the manufacturers is usually far less than the capacity of the filters. Also ammonia toxicity increases with temperature so having a temp closer to the lower range for your fish would be better than having it at the higher range.
Hello, I bought extra filter media, the filter only came with some filter pads but it trully isn't much. My baskets are to full capacity right now. I may change one of the sponge ones with more ceramic ring and bio balls. That should help.

I also don't use a heater, I actually live in central america (Panama) so I find it is unnecessary. My temperature is usually around 26ºC. I would have to get a chiller for it to get cooler.

Reactions: robham777

CrazyFishLady1201

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2017
Panama
I am not 100% sure that you are under filtered for the fish that you listed in an earlier post, but adding more media to the existing filter may help the situation until you are able to add a second filter. The media provided by the manufacturers is usually far less than the capacity of the filters. Also ammonia toxicity increases with temperature so having a temp closer to the lower range for your fish would be better than having it at the higher range.
Hello, I bought extra filter media, the filter only came with some filter pads but it trully isn't much. My baskets are to full capacity right now. I may change one of the sponge ones with more ceramic ring and bio balls. That should help.

I also don't use a heater, I actually live in central america (Panama) so I find it is unnecessary. My temperature is usually around 26ºC. I would have to get a chiller for it to get cooler.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
i think another filter can do no harm,
Hello; I agree if money is not an issue. You can never be too rich, too thin or have too much filter. Well I guess you can be too thin and maybe too much filter can have more current than the fish are comfortable with?

filter can't get to all the water in time to eliminate ammonia quickly enough.
Hello; I also doubt this is the problem. Fifty years ago I ran tanks with only air bubble filters and such. Tiny flow compared to what we can have now. Again for those who pack the fish in and have very high bioload then big filtration makes a difference. I do not see this as your problem based on my understanding. Maybe I missed something.

Reactions: aquaremo

CrazyFishLady1201

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2017
Panama
Hello; PRIME is liquid form of SAFE. Also there are other makers of water conditioners. PRIME happens to be a popular one on this forum.
I have only seen Tetra (Aquasafe and Aquasafe plus) and the Aqueon water conditioner. These two remove chlorine, chloramines and heavy metals but they don't detoxify ammonia. I haven't seen any ammonia neutralizers, besides Prime, what other primers are good quality?

CrazyFishLady1201

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2017
Panama
T
Hello; I agree if money is not an issue. You can never be too rich, too thin or have too much filter. Well I guess you can be too thin and maybe too much filter can have more current than the fish are comfortable with?

Hello; I also doubt this is the problem. Fifty years ago I ran tanks with only air bubble filters and such. Tiny flow compared to what we can have now. Again for those who pack the fish in and have very high bioload then big filtration makes a difference. I do not see this as your problem based on my understanding. Maybe I missed something.
Then I will add more ceramic rings and bio balls to see if this helps. Doing daily PWC is a bit strenuous since im doing it with a bucket ATM. My back suffers if i have to change more than 20 gallons :S

cigars

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 3, 2011
northern va
Add an ac110 or two with your canister filter it should be more than enough once it's fully cycled. Not to expensive and the foam sponges last for ever easy to clean. Back when I had a 125 gallon I filtered it with 2 ac110's and a fluval 404 canister filter

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I may be a little controversial here but I think 4x turnover with a well loaded canister would be enough. Lots of media and enough exposure time will be just fine, I think it's just bacteria that's lagging behind and maybe a touch of overfeeding. That's all :)

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
T

Then I will add more ceramic rings and bio balls to see if this helps. Doing daily PWC is a bit strenuous since im doing it with a bucket ATM. My back suffers if i have to change more than 20 gallons :S
if you haven't looked into a Python for WC yet, would strongly recommend. Prevents from having to use buckets :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store