Amonia won’t go lower than 0,25

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
What LFSs do you go to in Panama?
Melo, and American Pets (near brook Airport) are the only ones I've been to since moving to here, and they have little to offer for the serious fish keeper from what I've seen.
It is fairly easy to make a bio filter just using small pieces of lava rock from a garden center as media, and putting them in a recycled bottle in the tank, with either an air stone pumping thru, or an a power head, you can also pick up a hang on back filter and fill the open area with lava rock as biomedia.
Encuentra 21 seems to have filter equipment available frequently.
I have been looking for the reasonable size tank (minimum 100 gallons) on Encuentra 21 for a while. My problem is the logistics of getting it to Taboga.
My goal is to catch some of the native cichlids and maybe some dithers, once I get the logistics worked out.
Andinoacara coeruleopunctatus, Geophagus crassilabrus, and either of the Tomocichla (tuba or asfracci) or any Cribroheros species would be the ones I go for when ready.
I made DIY bio towers using lava rock, and readily available materials like PVC when in the U.S, and will do that here when ready.

Reactions: clm08k

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Melo, and American Pets (near brook Airport) are the only ones I've been to since moving to here, and they have little to offer for the serious fish keeper from what I've seen.
It is fairly easy to make a bio filter just using small pieces of lava rock from a garden center as media, and putting them in a recycled bottle in the tank, with either an air stone pumping thru, or an a power head, you can also pick up a hang on back filter and fill the open area with lava rock as biomedia.
I have been looking for the reasonable size tank (minimum 100 gallons) on Encuentra 21 for a while. My problem is the logistics of getting it to Taboga.
My goal is to catch some of the native cichlids and maybe some dithers, once I get the logistics worked out.
Andinoacara coeruleopunctatus, Geophagus crassilabrus, and either of the Tomocichla (tuba or asfracci) or any Cribroheros species would be the ones I go for when ready.
I made DIY bio towers using lava rock, and readily available materials like PVC when in the U.S, and will do that here when ready.

Reactions: CrazyFishLady1201

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
how exactly does it removes chlorine/chloramines if it refills directly from the faucet
Hello; You are correct it does not. It is a light hose device that uses (and wastes) tap water to start a siphon. Then after the tank water ids siphoned out the python can be used to add tap water back into a tank. This is where the water conditioner comes into use to treat for the chlorine.

I also use the bucket method for WC as you mentioned you do. I have only chlorine in my tap water so can store the water a few days for the chlorine to dissipate. At 70 years old the five gallon jugs are getting heavier than they use to be.

Reactions: clm08k

CrazyFishLady1201

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2017
Panama

Heyy!! its nice to see someone from panama in here!
There are 4 other places that sell aquarium equipment that I know of. American PEZ is the aquarium version of American Pets, it is located in San Francisco ( Via Porras close to the Metro Drugstore), they mostly sell aqeon and tetra and not much else but have nice variety of fish (on the expensive side tho). Theres also Aquarium World (not a lot of variety) in Plaza Cordova, Avenida Fernandez de Cordova. Acuario Maria in El Dorado behind Pricesmart in tumbamuerto is by far my favorite for aquarium decor and fish ( the place is not the nicest looking but the owner really knows her stuff, i really love going there) and theres also a new place called Corals and Pets. I haven't been to the last one but a friend of mine really likes it (they are more specialized in saltwater).

For large tanks i would go to American PEZ, I bought my 125 gallon there.

CrazyFishLady1201

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2017
Panama
Hello; You are correct it does not. It is a light hose device that uses (and wastes) tap water to start a siphon. Then after the tank water ids siphoned out the python can be used to add tap water back into a tank. This is where the water conditioner comes into use to treat for the chlorine.

I also use the bucket method for WC as you mentioned you do. I have only chlorine in my tap water so can store the water a few days for the chlorine to dissipate. At 70 years old the five gallon jugs are getting heavier than they use to be.

Ohh I see. I can imagine the strain is not very good on your back :S

I don't have much trouble removing water, I use two buckets, the one for removing is the one we use for mopping and it has wheels. The thing is moving and lifting the 10 gallon bucket to refill the tank. I use a jug cause i can't get it off the ground but it still hurts my back:(

Gonzomagic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2017
I have only seen Tetra (Aquasafe and Aquasafe plus) and the Aqueon water conditioner. These two remove chlorine, chloramines and heavy metals but they don't detoxify ammonia. I haven't seen any ammonia neutralizers, besides Prime, what other primers are good quality?
Kordon AmQuel plus, used when I couldn't get my hands on Prime, does the same, or is identical to Prime I think

http://www.kordon.com/kordon/products/water-conditioner/amquel-plus#compatabilities!

Reactions: CrazyFishLady1201

CrazyFishLady1201

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2017
Panama
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store