Amonia won’t go lower than 0,25

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
The amonia was reading 0 after the fishless cycle, And i added them over the course of a month.
Sounds like everything was done correctly. Have you tested your tap water for ammonia, and do you know the PH reading for your tank?

Reactions: tlindsey

CrazyFishLady1201

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2017
Panama
I’ve been using tetra aquasafe plus, I’ll have to check if one of my lfs has prime. The aquarium hobby isn’t that popular in my country and many items are not available.

And I’ll definitely get another filter.

CrazyFishLady1201

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2017
Panama
Sounds like everything was done correctly. Have you tested your tap water for ammonia, and do you know the PH reading for your tank?
I actually tested it yesterday. Amonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 0. I havent tested for ph tho, I read somewhere that i have to wait 24 hours for the gass exchange to finish so the ph stabilizes. But my aquariums have always had 7.2 - 7.6 pH so I asume its somewhere around there.

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
I actually tested it yesterday. Amonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 0. I havent tested for ph tho, I read somewhere that i have to wait 24 hours for the gass exchange to finish so the ph stabilizes. But my aquariums have always had 7.2 - 7.6 pH so I asume its somewhere around there.
Tap water sounds good. Low PH can inhibit the bacteria from processing ammonia but that does not sound like the case in the range you posted. Do you know if your water utility uses chlorine or chloramine as a disinfectant?

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
I think its chlorine but I’m not a 100% sure
With chloramine you can get a false positive for ammonia after the bond is broken between the chlorine and ammonia. Most water conditioners remove the chlorine instantly but leave the ammonia present in its bound form NH4 until the nitrifying bacteria convert it to nitrite.

Reactions: clm08k

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
tested your tap water for ammonia
Hello; yes to this. If the tap water has some ammonia this will be useful to know.

May I also suggest using the test kit on some distilled water which should be negative for ammonia. If not negative (0 ammonia) then a cleaning of the vials with the distilled water may help.
0.25ppm amonia, 0 ppm nitrite, 5 ppm nitrate. I did a 50% water change yesterday and do 10% water changes daily.
Hello; When do you test the water? Before a water change (WC)? Right after a WC? Have you ever tested several hours after a WC?

Reactions: clm08k and tlindsey

CrazyFishLady1201

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2017
Panama
Hello; yes to this. If the tap water has some ammonia this will be useful to know.

May I also suggest using the test kit on some distilled water which should be negative for ammonia. If not negative (0 ammonia) then a cleaning of the vials with the distilled water may help.

Hello; When do you test the water? Before a water change (WC)? Right after a WC? Have you ever tested several hours after a WC?
Hi, I test before a water change, that would aprox after 24 hours since I’m doing daily water changes. I haven’t tested distilled water but I’ll try to get my hands on some and see if i get the right results.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store