New addition- gt grow out thread.

Jonnycichlid6

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2018
When I first got him good steady growth was what I wanted. My female was a lot bigger then him so I needed him to put on size fast. Now it’s just to ensure I don’t run into health issues. Especially since I am overstocked right now. Between the 12”+ pleco and the two babies in with them I know that is a lot for the size tank they are in.
Interesting.. I def think I’m overstocked in a 50 gal with a 6 in synspilum, 5 in GT, 4 in Blood parrot, 3.5 inch red terror, and a 2.5 in frontosia. Do u think I should start doing biweekly water changes?

Jonnycichlid6

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2018
When I first got him good steady growth was what I wanted. My female was a lot bigger then him so I needed him to put on size fast. Now it’s just to ensure I don’t run into health issues. Especially since I am overstocked right now. Between the 12”+ pleco and the two babies in with them I know that is a lot for the size tank they are in.
Interesting.. I def think I’m overstocked in a 50 gal with a 6 in synspilum, 5 in GT, 4 in Blood parrot, 3.5 inch red terror, and a 2.5 in frontosia. Do u think I should start doing biweekly water changes?

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Do you mean twice a week? I would. Or at least be checking to see what your nitrates are at before a water change. The lower the better.

Jonnycichlid6

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2018
Do you mean twice a week? I would. Or at least be checking to see what your nitrates are at before a water change. The lower the better.
Yea I meant twice a week. I’ve noticed fish are always a lot more active after a water change then slow down throughout the week. I will start twice weekly water changes. Thanks for the advice good sir

Reactions: MrsE88

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
You have a beautifull GT, and the what 3 of you growing them out got me to get one. I believe it's female, not 100% sure.

I do have a question of you. Mine is getting these dark circles on her cheeks. Is that a female thing?
20180320_134135.jpg

Spence

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2015
MA
You have a beautifull GT, and the what 3 of you growing them out got me to get one. I believe it's female, not 100% sure.

I do have a question of you. Mine is getting these dark circles on her cheeks. Is that a female thing?
View attachment 1305584
I believe you are referring to the "tear drops". Common on green terrors male and female. Sometimes they show and other times they are hidden. Kind of a mood indicator like stress bars. And looking at the color on that guy there...I'd wager it's a male.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I believe you are referring to the "tear drops". Common on green terrors male and female. Sometimes they show and other times they are hidden. Kind of a mood indicator like stress bars. And looking at the color on that guy there...I'd wager it's a male.
Well that ain't good, now I have to think of a new name, Hotlipz ain't all that male sounding.....

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017

View attachment 1305584
I do believe that is a female. You said on your thread she is about 4-5” right? I go off the fins more then anything when determining gender. The females lack the amount of color the males have. The dark circle on her cheeks is a mood thing from what I observed. Males get it too.
For comparison here is my 4” male grow out. The blue on his fins is also more iridescent in person. The females are not.
91D53821-7D0F-4D71-8421-CB6A542DF519.jpeg

I like the amount of orange yours has on its dorsal fin. She is very pretty.

Reactions: Jexnell

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Oops, I had this typed out before reading the last responses. So as Spence Spence said it’s a mood thing.

But I’m sticking with saying you have a female. Unless those fins are more colorful then what is visible in that picture, it just doesn’t show the same coloration you see in most males. A better shot of the business area could help confirm. It looks like you can see it a bit in the photo, but just not enough of a side shot.

Reactions: Jexnell

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Ya her fins are nothing like that male in your picture. Has the patterning but no iridecence. I will try and get a shot of the business end. I will run with the she a girl and keep the name Hotlipz.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread, just wanted your opinion on her. Thanks a lot!

Reactions: MrsE88
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store