120 Gallon Stocking Ideas

That Trinindad Pleco

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2022
Hi, I may be getting a new 120 gallon 48x24x24 tank soon and it will be my second biggest, and my 6th tank that I currently am using. I was wondering about any stocking ideas, if you want to say community fish, please list some unique species as I have 3 community tanks. I was wondering if an Oscar pair would work, if I could maybe add a type of pleco like a Sunshine. Thanks for the help.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Oscar pair would work but I’d make them the only fish in there.
Otherwise, any medium sized cichlid pair would be a good fit in there.
Really depends on what you are going for though. Wet pet, breeding, community, predator, etc.

Cadillac15

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2018
I have a 125g with 2 oscars and an Orange Cheek Pinecone pleco. If you introduce the pleco when it is large and the oscars are small, it could work. But Oscars grow fast and will eat anything they can fit in their mouth, so if you introduce the sunshine when it is small, it may get eaten which would kill it and possibly the oscar

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
Im against oscars in 48inch. I think it would be the minimum size tank for them.
Maybe an african predator tank?
-butterflyfish
-rope eels
-maybe smaller bichir species? (senegal)
-african knifefish
-smaller sydontis species?
-ctenopoma

Or my favourite go with a pair of snakeheads
-channa bleheri or gaucha or ..
or 1 erythrinus erythrinus

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Im against oscars in 48inch. I think it would be the minimum size tank for them.
-butterflyfish
-rope eels
-african knifefish
-ctenopoma

Didn’t notice it was a 4 foot - I agree, best to pass on the Oscars here.

Reactions: Cadillac15

Cadillac15

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2018
Agreed. 4 foot may be a little short for Oscars. Really a 6 foot or larger tank is best for them.

That Trinindad Pleco

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2022
Yeah, that what I thought, but just making sure. I have a 6 foot tan, but it is a community tank and my favorite fish is in their and they get large do definitely no oscars in there. Would a Fahaka puffer be a good fit? Since their not as active and they would really like the 2 foot width of the tank as well.

That Trinindad Pleco

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2022
-butterflyfish
-rope eels
-african knifefish
-ctenopoma

I have wanted an African Knife but I wouldn’t comfortable keeping even a brown in anything less than 5 foot long.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Fahakas get big and need cruising room. I’d sooner go for a smaller puffer that tops at 8 inches.
You could look into a school of amazon puffers or schoutodinis.

That Trinindad Pleco

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2022
Well, are there any large fish like 10-14 inches that would do well with a Sunshine Pleco in a 120? I like smaller puffers, but I have a 40 Gallon Breeder with a Red-Eyed Red-Tailed Dwarf Puffer who comes on this Tuesday, and I don’t want an aggressive puffer species so a Sunshine Pleco could go there as well. In my 40 I got a 4” Blue Phantom Pleco yesterday, who really nice. Also do you think a Sunshine Pleco would be good in a 120 or no?

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store