180 gallon stocking

Pandrew

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Hey everyone very new to monster fish keepers looking forward to keeping some monster fish! I’m having trouble settling on stocking my new 180 gallon tank and would love some pointers.

I’ve been in love with bichirs for quite some time but am concerned about mixing ornates with either delhezi or Senegals given their differing adult sizes and all of the mixed messages I’m seeing.

I’m also very fascinated by the thought of a fire eel but the same concern is there for when it reaches adulthood , could it live with a foot long delhezi?

Is the tank even big enough for 4 adult bichirs and an eel,

Any and all advice or stories is welcome thank you so much for your time!

Reactions: tlindsey

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
as far as 4 bichirs it's definitely doable as long as long as you keep up on maintenance.

Is your 180 the 72"x24"?

As far as mixing bichirs the ornate and sengalus probably wouldn't work in the end due to the final size but a del and an ornate will work. Also fire eels and bichirs tend to ignore each other so n problem there

Reactions: tlindsey

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
personally I think it should be big enough for a fire eel with that footprint as far as bichirs look into polli and teugelsi to go with the ornate and delhezi they both have great personality

Pandrew

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Lots of good information and lots to think about , it’s starting to look like I might pass on the ornate just because it will be easier to have a more diverse happy and safe group of bichirs

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store