2 Patio Pond Building and Growout Thread

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
So, I have been having problems with algae. Put native gastropods in there. I got around to putting the liner inside the other barrel. Now I need to find Gymnogeophagus Terrpurpura. Anybody know?

Reactions: Deadeye

C. Breeze

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2021
Coastal Empire
So I sign up on Aquabid.com?
Yes that’s what you’d have to do, or have a parent do it I guess. Then you can buy them and have them shipped to you. The “sp Norte” that user black tuna has is a terapurpura from another collection point. He should have fry available this summer / fall and you don’t need aquabid and they’ll be shipping from way closer, and his are also kept outside acclimated to Daily temperature swings.

But you’ll have to be patient for those

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
As some predicted, algae is out of hand on my setup one. The barbs adore it. They also love the roots of the water lettuce.

kendragon kendragon

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Yes that’s what you’d have to do, or have a parent do it I guess. Then you can buy them and have them shipped to you. The “sp Norte” that user black tuna has is a terapurpura from another collection point. He should have fry available this summer / fall and you don’t need aquabid and they’ll be shipping from way closer, and his are also kept outside acclimated to Daily temperature swings.

But you’ll have to be patient for those
Patients is not my strongsuit! I am signing up.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
i used to keep and breed Macropodus opercularis (paradise fish) in rain barrels in Wisconsin April thru Oct, and they worked well (not the line bred, but wild type (hardier)), they helped to control mosquito larvae.
Being from Korea and China, they tolerate temp swings, and having the labyrinth breathing organ, can tolerate th low O2 levels found at depth when not using some kind of air or water pump to facilitate air exchange.
Bottom dwellers will struggle without water movement.
A weather loach would be a better choice (cool tolerant, also from northern Asia) but an airstone may still be needed to prevent anoxic conditions at depth..

Last edited:

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
I looked at paradise fish, but I am set on Gymnogeophagus T.

I wanted Weather Loaches, but they get relatively large.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Because I am not old enough to drive, the setting up of the 2nd pond takes FOREVER! I am just sitting here watching DWSDARIUS and eating puffins waiting for my dad to get out of a meeting so that I can go get some sand for the patio pond and whatever else I want to screw together :/

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Picked up 6 Flagfish today. Got them from Pet zone Kearny Mesa. I'll show picks when they come out of hiding. They have quite a bit of work to do! Also, the snails have spread. I've counted at least 4 so far, which is good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store