220G Update Thread

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
In this thread, I will post updates and track the progress with my 220-gallon tank. I have had this tank going on 10 years now and it has gone through a lot of changes in that time, especially since I was still very young and naive when I got it. With that being said, the current state of the tank is my favorite yet and I feel the most solid. I am purchasing a home when I finish my degree and already have plans for a much larger tank which will just basically be an extension of this one expanding on the filtration and stocking. For now, I don't really have any plans to add any more fish to the 220. My parameters are perfect and it stays very stable with this stock and I believe anything else would be pushing it. If I was to add anything else it would either be a Florida Gar or a group of smaller cichlids, but the Florida Gar doesn't really fit with the rest of the stock and smaller cichlids would likely get eaten fast. I do have a lot of projects I want to do to the tanks such as a total rescape (driftwood and perhaps fake rocks), ripping out the old lighting (replacing it with LEDs), and redoing the sump. I will update all of that in this thread.

DETAILS:
220 Gallons (72x24x30)
Homemade stand/canopy
FILTRATION:
55 Gallon Sump
Fluval Fx6
3 Air pumps running 3 stones
LIGHTING:
2x T5 Strips (will be upgraded soon, will update progress)
STOCKING:
3x Peacock bass
3x Silver Dollars (Jeff Rapps)
Polypterus Enclicheri
Volta Giraffe Catfish
Jack Dempsey Cichlid

Fulltankshot2.jpgFulltankshot1.JPG

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
Here are a couple of pics of the giraffe catfish.
Giraffecat1.pngGiraffecat2.png

Cich Mind

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2021
Michigan
What's up FuriousFish FuriousFish ,
Your tank actually shimmers. Good lighting. I really dig your set up. Your fish look great. Nice Bass. Please update soon.

Reactions: FuriousFish

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
What's up FuriousFish FuriousFish ,
Your tank actually shimmers. Good lighting. I really dig your set up. Your fish look great. Nice Bass. Please update soon.
I'm actually really surprised to hear that, in these photos, the only lighting in the entire tank is a single $5 clamp lamp with a $2 LED bulb in the center, no other lighting since the T5s burned out and I cant justify replacing the bulbs since I am switching to LED. Thank you for your kind words!

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Nice set up.

What are those silver dollars? They look to be, m. Torquatus. Really fun sp.

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
Nice set up.

What are those silver dollars? They look to be, m. Torquatus. Really fun sp.
I believe they are Myleus Rubripinnis Luna. Seeing those photos I posted that seems incorrect but they are older photos and all three of them now display the orange and yellow blotches on their sides. That's just my guess, I don't know much about silver dollar identification or how many species there are but I will post some updated pictures when I get the chance. Is there a good resource for all the different silver dollar species just out of curiosity?

Reactions: Matteus

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
Gorgeous! The endli is beautiful!
Thank you! I actually got him from a member on here a long time ago, I think 2012 or 2013. He was originally an import by Jurassic Aquatics which used to be a renowned importer on this forum, From what I can gather they shut down operations a while back.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store