240 Gallon Build thread

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
I have read good things about matrix and surface space for both nitrifying and denitrifying BB. It's relatively less if you buy more. 4liters for $38 on Amazon. Seachem recommends 1liter/100,gallon. Im not sure how much room you have available in the canister?
I've got to fill up 6 whole trays in the canisters, plus about half a tray in an fx6

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I got some pond matrix recently to enable anaerobic BB. How about matrix or pond matrix?

I figured you're only going to buy it once for biological filtration. It's a bit pricier but may be worth it long term.
How are you setting up the media for anerobic bb

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
tarheel96 tarheel96 was thinking of the same and felt it wasnt porus enough.
I'm thinking of just doing lava rock. It is pretty cheap, but will it be efficient enough?

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
I've heard people say biohome is pretty good..although pricey. I will keep eheim in mind. I need to fill up the two aquatics with media and one basket on the fx6. If it becomes too pricey I may just go with rings and lava rock
I have bio home it is expensive but works good. Personally I would go with lava rock, crush it up into smaller chunks and put it in media bags. All I use is 100 percent natural charcoal

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
How are you setting up the media for anerobic bb
Im still contemplating that. I really got it to experiment first hands if it will make a dent in nitrate, and, Im not concerned with nitrifying bacteria since have the submerged bioballs.

I thought about some sort of slow flowing reactor. Im now thinking if I should submerged in my sump. I have a tray area below my felt pads where i want to try. I guess the idea is to keep submerged, slow flow, and depriving oxygen where the bb will form within the matrix. I know many have also said it doesnt work for nitrate...but im willing to give it a try. Aside from that, I understand it's quite porous comapred to many other bio media.

To be honest I thing for aerobic, almost any reasonable bio media will work.

Add: At some point it's diminishing returns.

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
I have bio home it is expensive but works good. Personally I would go with lava rock, crush it up into smaller chunks and put it in media bags. All I use is 100 percent natural charcoal
Yeah, plus it's very cheap.. I may also put some bio rings under the tray like pond guru said to help disperse flow.

Heading to some plumbing stores to pick up the bulkheads, so I can plumb everything up and leak test..

If it doesn't rain this week stand will start to be built

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Im still contemplating that. I really got it to experiment first hands if it will make a dent in nitrate, and, Im not concerned with nitrifying bacteria since have the submerged bioballs.

I thought about some sort of slow flowing reactor. Im now thinking if I should submerged in my sump. I have a tray area below my felt pads where i want to try. I guess the idea is to keep submerged, slow flow, and depriving oxygen where the bb will form within the matrix. I know many have also said it doesnt work for nitrate...but im willing to give it a try. Aside from that, I understand it's quite porous comapred to many other bio media.

To be honest I thing for aerobic, almost any reasonable bio media will work.

Add: At some point it's diminishing returns.
Agreed. But definitly worth a try. Even if it cuts nitrates in half its worth it imo

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
Anyone have some advice on what plants to keep in this tank? Need something hardy I guess and easy to grow/take care

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
So I decided to set up a 240 gallon I've had in storage for 8months or so now.

Thread will be slow as I am starting a new job, due to saving up for a much larger tank for the new house. Don't wanna talk to much about that right now, but it will be around 3 times more gallon age than this *fingers crossed*

Back to the build, tank is 8' X 2' X 2'
2 holes drilled at the moment for canisters and got the top and base finished

Things to be done-

Drill 2 more holes on the recently capped off ones, plus one on the top
Finish stand
Purchase bulkheads
Paint the back black

Water changes-
Purchasing two blue barrels

-one for new water, other for getting right amount of water out of tank to drain.
Gonna try 50 gallons every 2-3 days

Filtration-
Fx6
2 aquatop cf500uv

Heating-
2 300 watt hydor inline heaters

Air pump ect-
Need help on what to buy, will be running 2 air disks

Substrate-
Pool filter sand

Decor-
Drift wood, some plants

Intended stock-

Already have- 5" fire eel, 5" rtc (growing it out for a lfs display tank)

Looking to add- looking to grow out 1-2 rays, jardini, datnoids

Also, do you guys think I should reinforce the bottom seams? Tank is roughly half inch thick acrylic

Starting to build the stand this week, I will update this thread as I go, any recommendations are appreciated

View attachment 1243684

View attachment 1243685

View attachment 1243686

View attachment 1243687

View attachment 1243689

View attachment 1243691

View attachment 1243692
Shhhhhhhh

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store