240 Gallon Build thread

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Anyone have some advice on what plants to keep in this tank? Need something hardy I guess and easy to grow/take care
What are the occupants ? Annubias, Jf, maybe some swords ?

I picked up some water lettuce a couple of months ago and its been doong great. Started with 3 plants. Also threw out a couple of handfuls since. Using a 45w grow light purchased on amazon. Also used an airline tubing wrapped around tje overflow to keep it out of the sump. Added the eggrate as another layer of protection. Still need to paint it black though.
Screenshot_20170412-133430.png Screenshot_20170412-133433.png

tarheel96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2015
North Carolina
Regarding plants, Elodea planted in the substrate and/or Hornwort floating in the water column will grow very fast ... faster in hard water with high carbonate hardness. They can use the carbonates as a carbon source instead of relying solely on CO2 in the water which is limited at ~2ppm.

Floating plants like water lettuce can grow fast because they have access to 200 times more CO2 from the atmosphere but they need a LOT of light.

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
Water wisteria, water sprite, java moss
Various anubias?
Regarding plants, Elodea planted in the substrate and/or Hornwort floating in the water column will grow very fast ... faster in hard water with high carbonate hardness. They can use the carbonates as a carbon source instead of relying solely on CO2 in the water which is limited at ~2ppm.

Floating plants like water lettuce can grow fast because they have access to 200 times more CO2 from the atmosphere but they need a LOT of light.
Water lettuce would be great.

Still not sure on the final stock list, but I may have some that will dig in the sand. So looking to have plants tied to drift wood? I believe the Java moss and Anubis can be done that way

tarheel96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2015
North Carolina
Water lettuce would be great.

Still not sure on the final stock list, but I may have some that will dig in the sand. So looking to have plants tied to drift wood? I believe the Java moss and Anubis can be done that way
Anubias and Java Fern grow tied to driftwood or rocks ... they'll die if planted in substrate. Java moss will work tied to driftwood/rocks too. Same with Hornwort if you want something that will grow faster to help reduce nitrate a little.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
. So looking to have plants tied to drift wood? I believe the Java moss and Anubis can be done that way
Yup, at one point I made an attempt with anubias and java fern. It started ok for about a year or so, but it just became a little too much keeping it looking nice - but I liked it.

WP_20151119_003.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: M@T!@$

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
Anubias and Java Fern grow tied to driftwood or rocks ... they'll die if planted in substrate. Java moss will work tied to driftwood/rocks too. Same with Hornwort if you want something that will grow faster to help reduce nitrate a little.
Are those plants fairly cheap? Plants here tend to be a bit more expensive

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
Also I would like suggestions on something to stock. Maybe not too expensive as I plan on upgrading tanks this year at a new house we bought, and I don't think many large expensive fish would make a 10 hour trip.

Looking for somethings interactive and that are kinda considered "monsters" not really into cichlids but I may consider them. Like jardinis but they will get too big for this tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store