260g acrylic tank overhaul.

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
First off....thats freakin weird but cool shaped. I have seen many bow fronts, but never a curved front & back like that. That's different but cool.

On the bottom crack...are you sure its actually cracked? Maybe its just the pics but it looks more like deep scratches rather than a crack?

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
First off....thats freakin weird but cool shaped. I have seen many bow fronts, but never a curved front & back like that. That's different but cool.

On the bottom crack...I have never done acrylic repair before, but I personally would use whatever the thickness of that tank is for a patch (1/2") and bond the patch over it and you'll be fine. I would not use 1/4" though IMO.

Nice tank man I like the shape thats cool.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

wannadivesteve

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2015
Oregon
I assume that is the bottom crack about 3 inches to the inside of the tank in front of the rock. It sort of looks like it goes through. It might not hurt to see it it will take some weldon 4 to fuse it, if it is not fused, before covering it with more acrylic to patch it. Also the front side near the rock looks as though it's had a repair attempt if I am looking at it right - hard to tell, could just be a scrape I'm looking at. It almost looks like silicone was used, if so it's really not the product to use to repair acrylic.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va

On the bottom crack...I have never done acrylic repair before, but I personally would use whatever the thickness of that tank is for a patch (1/2") and bond the patch over it and you'll be fine. I would not use 1/4" though IMO.

Nice tank man I like the shape thats cool.
thanks! I thought it was a good deal for $300. i would honestly have liked the back to been straight but maybe that space back there will come in handy to mount some components and whatnot.

Yeah the crack doesn't go all the way through the bottom, just about half way through from the bottom up. I think it was dropped because the tank is exceedingly front heavy when trying to move it and tends to drop fast if you lose your grip. the acrylic Is actually 3/4" on all the sides, 1/2" on top, and a full 1" on the bottom.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I assume that is the bottom crack about 3 inches to the inside of the tank in front of the rock. It sort of looks like it goes through. It might not hurt to see it it will take some weldon 4 to fuse it, if it is not fused, before covering it with more acrylic to patch it. Also the front side near the rock looks as though it's had a repair attempt if I am looking at it right - hard to tell, could just be a scrape I'm looking at. It almost looks like silicone was used, if so it's really not the product to use to repair acrylic.
ill try to get some close ups but I think it might be a scratch. I've gotten quite a few out but those turtles certainly did some damage to an otherwise pretty tank.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
and no I haven't tried any repairs yet just cleaning. they had a lot of stuff duct taped and glued to the top and sides of the tank, as well as some kind of very resilient waterproof tape over the overflow. so there's a lot of adhesive gunk I've been having trouble scraping off. slow going lol

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
If you put a 3D background along that curved back and run your plumbing behind it... That is going to be one beautiful tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store