260g acrylic tank overhaul.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I have never owners an acrylic tank, but I have seen much worse than that be repaired with no difficulties. Im sure there are videos on YouTube of people teaching you to fix such things.

wannadivesteve

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2015
Oregon
I'd drill the ends of the crack, if the crack doesn't go to the edge of the sheet, so the crack cant spread. Then I'd hit the crack wi weldon 4 to try to fuse it, then put some more acrylic on top and support the bottom very well, fully. After that I'd hold my breath that there's no leak between the bottom sheet and that front sheet. With that big scrape or whatever I can't tell if the joint at the bottom of the front edge is solid from the pictures.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I seem to remember a thread on mfk where someone cut around the crack and then welded a stick of acrylic in the hole.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I'd drill the ends of the crack, if the crack doesn't go to the edge of the sheet, so the crack cant spread. Then I'd hit the crack wi weldon 4 to try to fuse it, then put some more acrylic on top and support the bottom very well, fully. After that I'd hold my breath that there's no leak between the bottom sheet and that front sheet. With that big scrape or whatever I can't tell if the joint at the bottom of the front edge is solid from the pictures.
the tank has been holding about 40 gallons for three days now with no signs of leaking. I know that's nowhere near full though. but I believe the front bottom lip is quite solid. like I said this thing has pretty thick walls and I think what you're seeing is just where the silicone was sloppily done on that front lip. it doesn't look like it's been altered or repaired from original condition.

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
It was repaired with silicone?

wannadivesteve

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2015
Oregon
If there's silicone there it probably leaked. No acrylic tank manufacturer uses silicone. That had to be a patch, or at least someone down the line thought they were doing themselves a favor by adding silicone.

I'd be for turning that tank over and checking out the seam where the side sits on top of the bottom. It should be clear the entire length, any separation should show up, at which point that would be something you need to repair to ensure it doesn't blow out in the future

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
no idk if it's silicone or not. like I said I'm not too familiar with acrylic tanks I guess it's whatever they used to build it with. what I was trying to say is that it looks solid. I'm going to go ahead and cut a couple of pieces of acrylic to fit that front section and put them over the top of the cracked part. the crack is about a foot and a half long and three inches in so I was gonna cut them about 2 1/2 feet and the sheet is 8 inches wide so I'll just use all of that. I guess I'll use the Weldon stuff everyone keeps mentioning. glad I didn't try to use silicone.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
If it is silicone, it should be somewhat soft and flexible so give it a poke with your finger or a screwdriver tip.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I know I wanted to but the two overflow holes are in that big box on the one side. only thing I don't like about it is that overflow box on the side.
What you have there is a curved peninsula style tank. The internal overflow with the weir is good in that all the overflow and return plumbing is hidden. That's also probably why there's no background?

How many holes are there in the box?

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
What you have there is a curved peninsula style tank. The internal overflow with the weir is good in that all the overflow and return plumbing is hidden. That's also probably why there's no background?

How many holes are there in the box?
there are two 2" holes and 2 1 1/2" holes. do I use the same kind of bulkhead with acrylic as in glass?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store