300 Gallon Newt Pond

NathanKS

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2016
Nor*Cal
Nice project, pretty neat idea, I look forward to seeing the project complete.
Awesome! Can't wait to see it done.
Thanks guys!

Installed my overflow drain and played with it today, it works well and depending on how I set up the pumps, have control over how high the water in the main pond gets. Don't know if I will be staying with my 2600gph pump or grabbing a bigger one.
I have a leak in one of the return bulkheads, so have to fix that tomorrow.

picture dump below because it works again

IMG_0934.JPG IMG_0935.JPG
IMG_0904.JPG IMG_0908.JPG IMG_0931.JPG

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
View attachment 1292929 View attachment 1292930 View attachment 1292931 View attachment 1292932 View attachment 1292933 It’s alive!

Now the long wait while I figure out water levels and get more bio mass. Also need to finally add filter material
Looks great! I shoulda used a spray bar like that on mine. I ended up using filter socks in the top drawer of mine anyway though. So the "dry" land part goes on top in between the two wet sections? I'm guessing that gets some water too or are they completely terestrial at that point in life? Just moisture?

Reactions: NathanKS

NathanKS

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2016
Nor*Cal
Thanks Twenty!

the flood table will have a spray bar as well and i have built overflows from .5" to 6" so that I can vary the water level.

Yes the dry part is between these two ponds, I was waiting on this water test to install it as removing some of the other framing to deal with the leak was a PITA.
The newts spend a year aquatic (in other tubs), a couple months hanging out on plants right above water(water starts at 6" then drop every week or so), 6 months purely terrestrial(table will be drained but a mister used), then a couple months hanging out on plants over water before returning to live their teenage and adult years in the water. This main pond is only for breedable adults (5+ years old) and I will have a separate bank of 100/150gallon gallon ponds for each year of hatchlings.

NathanKS

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2016
Nor*Cal
Update time

My trickle filter has A LOT of over spray (this shouldnt have been such a suprise, IDK why I didnt consider it earlier) . I will be building a shower stall type thing out of left over PVC sheeting I have. At the moment I am using an assortment of older filters ranging from an fx6

My media filter is awaiting its k1 which should get here monday, I have extreme bubbling in the chamber so hope it works well.

Since the last post I started ripping up some of my smaller tanks to plant this one much to the disappointment of my gugdeon collection. I took a bunch of smaller plants from well established tanks and also removed a massive piece of limestone(it filled the entire bottom of a 40b) from my empire gudgeon tank. Its looking good but not all the plants are set into their new spot. I hope to eventually remove the plastic spider plants and only have living plants but need the spider plants for egg laying.

After what felt like a long week, I added the newts on the 14th. they took an immediate liking to the new space and I was able to observe mating behavior when I returned to check on them on Monday (15th)

This weekend, I will be re framing the flood table, building the shower stall and hopefully collecting eggs.

pics in the next post

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Thats really cool! Do newts spend all their time underwater? Is there somewhere they can come up?

Reactions: NathanKS

NathanKS

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2016
Nor*Cal
Thanks guys!

These newts are completely aquatic during adulthood. If they want to get out of the water, they can do so on the overflow but I doubt they will.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store