300ish Gallon plywood - First attempt

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
Here is a lovely Diagram laying out my new idea.

My new inlet plumbing will also be 1 1/2" PVC. I think I will drill 2 holes in the little pieces I fitted in to complete the top. Shown here in this older pic.

That way I can take it out later if need be with no modification to the tank.

I'm going to make a manifold that the flex tube comes into and enters the tank on 2 sides of the center brace feeding into one 36ish inch long pipe with holes drilled in it to diffuse water flow and create current.

Thoughts. Flaws. Comments?

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
CLDarnell;4665719; said:
Damn bro, your build is looking fantastic. The few setbacks you have seen are minor compared to all the successes. You have done one helluva job!

Now, finish it up so we can see some photos of fish inside that monster!
Now that you mention it. My wife threw 3 or 4 guppy fry in the tank today while I was gone. I though for sure my pump was going to eat them. I have mesh over my pickup tube but it's not fine enough to keep them out.

Can you spot them? Had to do a bit of an angle to prevent flash from the camera whitewashing everything out.

Heres 2 of them from the top.

And a front view. Hard to take decent pictures of tiny fry though 1/2" of glass and 3 feet of water. They stayed at the back when I had the camera.

mike b

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2008
hamilton, ohio
fantastic build easily one of the best Ive seen quick question did you paint onto your glass panel when going over the caulk? if so did you encounter any problems with the paint adhering to the glass?

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
mike b;4666075; said:
fantastic build easily one of the best Ive seen quick question did you paint onto your glass panel when going over the caulk? if so did you encounter any problems with the paint adhering to the glass?
I painted onto the glass about an inch or two above the caulk. Enough for peace of mind but not enough to be seen in the viewing window. It sticks to the glass well but can be scrapped off like normal paint off of glass. It's on there pretty good.

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
Some how I missed a water change in my over populated 20 long and I ended up losing about 40 of my Krib fry. Still got a ton left but wasn't too happy about that.

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
kallmond;4675272; said:
Great progress! Whats your confidence level in the insl-x pool paint? Are you 100% on it?
I'd call it at 90%. My test box held water for a month of abuse and the 300 is full with more layers then the sump.

The only weakness I've found with this stuff is it can be torn over the silicone sealant with sharp edges. On the wood surfaces it soaks into the wood an creates a solid layer that you can scratch at fairly harshly without marking. You would have to damage the wood to remove the waterproof ability. Which would hold true for most products.

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
The 300 is now home to a dozen zebra danios to help cycle the tank and one betta that was getting picked on in one of the community tanks.

Filtration is still being worked out. But currently have 2 sponge filters in there. One powered by a bubbler the other with a 400 GPH powerhead. One of the sponges was ran in one of my established tanks for 2 weeks to start some bacteria cultures.

CLDarnell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2010
Omaha
Awesome! Good job Muni. Once you finish the filtration and trim work you mentioned, it's going to be amazing! Then it will be time to start on your 800 gallon build :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store