305 Gallon Build W/ 120 Gallon Sump

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
What do you guys use for water when doing your water changes? Hard (tap) water, softened water with salt/sodium or potassium? I can do any of these as my house has soft water and a separate line of hard water. Could you elaborate on what products you use to treat the water? Lastly, what did you do for your initial cycle (fishless, water treatments or other)?
Keep in mind I’m a plumber so I can easily run any type of filtration that may be beneficial, even if it’s overkill.
Jeez can I have you come set up my 225 haha. Since you like a challenge I would run a drip system for your convenience, k1 sump, and if you really want to overkill run some type of ultima filter after the sump

Reactions: GoldFinger

GoldFinger

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2017
Ontario
Jeez can I have you come set up my 225 haha. Since you like a challenge I would run a drip system for your convenience, k1 sump, and if you really want to overkill run some type of ultima filter after the sump
What’s the point of s drip system if you have to do weekly water changes anyway? I have a large section in my sump unused and will probably be a future K1 zone or refugium. Will google that filter. I want to do this right but I’m no where near an expert so might just get the tank running and go from there haha.

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
What’s the point of s drip system if you have to do weekly water changes anyway? I have a large section in my sump unused and will probably be a future K1 zone or refugium. Will google that filter. I want to do this right but I’m no where near an expert so might just get the tank running and go from there haha.
A drip system is pretty much icing on the cake, most fishes in the wild experience hundreds of thousands if not millions of gallons of fresh/new water constantly a drip system basically takes out old water and add new water reducing/removing your nitrate adding new water until you do your waterchange. Not saying to be lazy and cut out waterchanges but it'll make your fish happier till you do. I've thought the same before why need a drip if Ima do waterchange after a bit of research I can't wait to set one up. An Ultima filter is basically a moving bed I believe there's a few members here that has more information on these type of filters kendragon kendragon pacu mom pacu mom i believe ken run a glass type media that is self sustaining self clean I hope he can chime in more info

GoldFinger

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2017
Ontario
A drip system is pretty much icing on the cake, most fishes in the wild experience hundreds of thousands if not millions of gallons of fresh/new water constantly a drip system basically takes out old water and add new water reducing/removing your nitrate adding new water until you do your waterchange. Not saying to be lazy and cut out waterchanges but it'll make your fish happier till you do. I've thought the same before why need a drip if Ima do waterchange after a bit of research I can't wait to set one up. An Ultima filter is basically a moving bed I believe there's a few members here that has more information on these type of filters kendragon kendragon pacu mom pacu mom i believe ken run a glass type media that is self sustaining self clean I hope he can chime in more info
Sounds pretty cool I’m going to look further into it for sure. Thanks for the help

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
You’re doing great so far man!

It is pretty important to do the shake down period and be confident in your gear/design before adding a drip. Run through the scenarios like power down, pump fail, water in outlets etc. kind of like baby proofing for adults lol.

Drip systems are for sure the way to go though so researching now is perfect. It replaces water changes all together. A must have IMO for large tanks. They can be simple designs or complex. It depends on your budget and wants.

K1 is a great media. It can be a pain to start from scratch though. If you go that route get some cycled media (even a Fish store can wring out a sponge in a bag) and put that in with you media. The goal being to jump start your cycle so you don’t hang up for weeks.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
You seem to like gear. I’m setting up a drip manifold on a large sump tonight if you want some pics for ideas or concept? This ones heated, dechlorinated, and adjustable gallons (1-16) per hour. It makes it nice because you can crank it up while a tank cycles and not lose any fish because nothing will build up to toxic levels with the drip up high. Cold drips can’t do this as well or they risk crashing the temp. It does require some homework though.

My preference is always simplicity. Fill tank, add K1 from another sump mixed with new, add fish, crank up drip and walk away.

GoldFinger

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2017
Ontario
You seem to like gear. I’m setting up a drip manifold on a large sump tonight if you want some pics for ideas or concept? This ones heated, dechlorinated, and adjustable gallons (1-16) per hour. It makes it nice because you can crank it up while a tank cycles and not lose any fish because nothing will build up to toxic levels with the drip up high. Cold drips can’t do this as well or they risk crashing the temp. It does require some homework though.

My preference is always simplicity. Fill tank, add K1 from another sump mixed with new, add fish, crank up drip and walk away.
I would love to see some pictures man! I will definitely be installing a drip at this point. Time to research. Also, I may not do the k1 right away, could I still jump start the system with the media I have now via your sponge idea or other? Does it make sense to use my bags of seachem matrix and K1 together; or should I be considering returning the matrix all together and go all in on K1? Is too much media a bad thing?

Last edited:

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
I would love to see some pictures man! I will definitely be installing a drip at this point. Time to research. Also, I may not do the k1 right away, could I still jump start the system with the media I have now via your sponge idea or other? Does it make sense to use my bags of seachem matrix and K1 together; or should I be considering returning the matrix all together and go all in on K1? Is too much media a bad thing?
There's no such thing as too much media or filtration

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
I’ll post some pics of the drip when I get home.

Surface area is surface area. Bacterial colonies couldn’t care less which media or how much one spent on it. The difference is matrix is submerged and sits in a static position. K1 floats and is always cleaning itself with constant movement.

Matrix pro: no messing with air pumps. It sits still.
Matrix con: will need to have the build up cleaned off periodically. It is less efficient but not by enough to matter unless heavy bioload.

K1 pro: alway moving so cleans itself and keeps fresh young bacteria it’s strongest.
K1 con: it can be a pain for some people to get boiling/moving. Expect to buy a decent air pump/spend more. Also will get everywhere if sump baffles aren’t sufficient.

Don’t mix both media’s the same chamber or the K1 won’t be able to move but it’s fine to run both in the same sump.

Reactions: Bigfishnut
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store