Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

305 Gallon Build W/ 120 Gallon Sump

Discussion in 'DIY Projects and Ideas' started by GoldFinger, Nov 8, 2017.

1. JK47

JK47 Administrator
      Staff Member

Justin
      Today at 12:03 AM
      One if the worst things new hobbiest do is try to alter chemisty like pH, hardness etc.. 80%-90% of the fish available in the hobby do better with consistency over altered and fluctuating water chemistry.

The only needed thing to change water is a dechlorinator like prime (SeaChem product). A small amount treats a tank rapidly. Great stuff.

2. Bigfishnut

Bigfishnut MFK Members

Travis
      Yesterday at 4:57 PM
      Yup. You'll still need to do occasional water changes. I run a 1.5" pvc bulkhead off my sump for the drip drain. I also run a 3/4" bulkhead about 10" off the bottom of the tank to do water changes fast and easy. I set it all up so I can drain and fill just by turning valves. Makes my life very easy!

3. GoldFinger

GoldFinger MFK Members

James
      Yesterday at 3:26 PM
      Ok so prime for initial fill and keep on hand for large water change if ever needed. Aside from that I’m plumbing in some carbon block filters and will have those ready to supply my tank for water changes and drip system. How did you determine the rate/gph to set your dripping water? Once I’m plumbed and ready to go I will need to have it filling accordingly so my water is up to monster fish keeper standards

4. GoldFinger

GoldFinger MFK Members

James
      Forgot to ask what is that coil I’m seeing in the sump? Also Are those two pvc lines drains or are you running an external pump for your returns? Looks legit

5. JK47

JK47 Administrator
      Staff Member

Justin
      Correct. Add water, dose correct amount for tank, and keep a spare bottle around. It’s a great to have handy especially while cycling tanks. Another benefit of prime is that it converts toxic ammonia into ammonium. Still not great but can help safe some fish. It’s a must have IMO.

To set the drip amount I start on the high end, keep a close eye on parameters and test often. After a while you gain some trust. After you’ve built a few and know the high and low ends of your system and it’s easy. I have lots of young rays who eat heavily so is better for my needs. I completely trust my systems.

GoldFinger likes this.
    6. JK47

JK47 Administrator
      Staff Member

Justin
      Thanks! Big project.. Stainless has stellar heat transfer properties. Down the road I may want to plumb in a recirculating pump off my hot water heater to use minimal watts in heaters. I don’t have a need right now but won’t have access for a coil later.

The large PVC are inlets from the sump to the pumps. Union ball valves make swapping out pumps a few minute job. Well worth the cost. Yes external pumps a reeflo hammerhead and dart. Monster setup.

GoldFinger and Bigfishnut like this.
    7. GoldFinger

GoldFinger MFK Members

James
      My hot water is softened and I’d rather not have to run a separate filter to remove sodium and chlorine, so if I just run filtered cold for the drip system will the heaters in my sump be good enough or would this be less efficient? Also, I figured 2gph drip will give me 336 gallons of water changed a week. Including my sump I’ll have roughly 400 gallons of water so that should be more than enough right? Looks like a Home Depot compensating drip emitter is the best option and less likely to plug up or fail.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.2-gph-compensating-dripper-4-pack.1000143244.html

8. JK47

JK47 Administrator
      Staff Member

Justin
      Correct. Make sure you test your home water pressure though. Those emitters are only rated to like 45. I run mine at 55 PSI but regardless you should check yours. AT 2 GPH your heaters will keep up just fine. Ensure you have a heat compensating plan if your temp drops too much from, higher drip rate if you raise it later.

9. twentyleagues

twentyleagues MFK Members

Yesterday at 7:51 PM
      I just got an 8 line emitter from a hydro store handles up to 80psi and each line is .75gph so it' "adjustable" from .75 to 6 gph depending on how many lines you use. Cost was $15. Has 1/2 threads that I adapted to a garden hose attachment.

JK47 and GoldFinger like this.
    10. twentyleagues

twentyleagues MFK Members

Yesterday at 7:51 PM