Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
100 gal would work fine mine is around that

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
Ordered the temp controller from jehmco yesterday should be here within a day or two. Got a response back from the pump seller as well that they will send a new pump. Just waiting on a reply back from them.

Need to get heaters and matrix plus laundry bags. Which laundry bags should be used? There's a couple different ones on Amazon.

Hardest thing on my list to get seems to be the actual sump itself. The guy with all the acrylic tanks has got some funky custom dimensions for the 110g that would not fit under my stand. Worst case scenario I get a metal stock tank from tractor supply for $90 that holds 100g since the Rubbermaid one would be two wide for underneath. Any suggestions?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Just cleaned my sump and with the small clearence the laundry bags were a paon to get out. Get a bunch of smaller media bags.

I just order these and started converting the media over probably need to order another 3 or 4. Theres 1 size smaller that i think would have been perfect.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MQ1ZE5R/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
The 12.5"x10.75" you mean?
Yeah thats the one im going to use. Much easier to get the bio out in smaller bags when cleaning it over the hug laundry bags

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
Yeah thats the one im going to use. Much easier to get the bio out in smaller bags when cleaning it over the hug laundry bags
ill look into those. and you mean moving them around not actually cleaning them?

and this sump is going to be the death of me. I might just end up with a 90 gallon for now or do that metal stock tank. Acrylic seems to be to hard or to expensive to get at the moment. everyone wants like 600+

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
ill look into those. and you mean moving them around not actually cleaning them?

and this sump is going to be the death of me. I might just end up with a 90 gallon for now or do that metal stock tank. Acrylic seems to be to hard or to expensive to get at the moment. everyone wants like 600+
I mean cleaning the media. Every now amd then maybe a few times a year its good to swish the media in tank water to clean off dead bb and gunk. Getting the laundry bags out were a pain amd a huge mess

Reactions: jvc66

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I just slosh the laundry bags of media around in the sump. Why take them out. The tank gets dusty for a about an hour, then it's clear again, and the dust is all in the filter socks.

You can run 2 sumps if you tie them together. Several years back, a member named "Egon" did a tank with a sump like that. Shows how he plumbed them together, how he did a standpipe type drain to keep them from overflowing. It was really cool. Look through his tank builds, you'll find it. or PM him, he might remember the name of the build thread.

I think it was Egon's 400 gallon build thread?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I just slosh the laundry bags of media around in the sump. Why take them out. The tank gets dusty for a about an hour, then it's clear again, and the dust is all in the filter socks.

You can run 2 sumps if you tie them together. Several years back, a member named "Egon" did a tank with a sump like that. Shows how he plumbed them together, how he did a standpipe type drain to keep them from overflowing. It was really cool. Look through his tank builds, you'll find it. or PM him, he might remember the name of the build thread.

I had to take them out to get to the pond boxes and really dont like all the crap in the main tank, plus im trying to get a denitrate filter to cycle and dont want all the crude to get in there

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ

Ill take a look at that. I think for the time being it would be easiest for me to just worry about getting one large sump than hooking 2 up. I gave up on the one guy with all the acrylic sumps since hes been jerking around and not answering. Either I am going to look for a 90 gallon or a 100 gallon stock tank. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...ank-2-ft-w-x-4-ft-l-x-2-ft-h-100-gal-capacity

I just dont want the 90 gallon to leak, and I am unsure if that stock tank will corrode in anyway or leach anything into the water. A rubbermaid tank would not fit under there with the dimensions

I had to take them out to get to the pond boxes and really dont like all the crap in the main tank, plus im trying to get a denitrate filter to cycle and dont want all the crude to get in there
Sounds like a hassle to me with those pond boxes

Reactions: jaws7777
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store