55 gallon bichir tank mates

Jerith1842

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2019
Hello all, I recently upgraded my 2 young angel fish and my 4 in Senegal bichir into a 55 gallon tank and I’m curious about if I could put something else in there. Like an acara or Firemouth or something of that sort?

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I think it would be fine to add an acara or fire mouth. Just make sure everything is close to the same size and if you go with a fire mouth, make sure he has a cave or area to claim. My experience is fire mouths are not overly aggressive, but very territorial, but they generally claim a small territory like a cave or overhang.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Should be fine. Just watch for any aggression.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
You might be able to get away with an acara or firemouth, but I think it is pushing it a bit, the 4 Senegal and 2 angels will fill the tank up themselves when full grown. The firemouth would prefer to live in a group as well. Between the two I would say the acara probably a better choice. Keep an eye out for aggression between the angels and the other cichlid. If the angels are a pair, I wouldn't bother adding more cichlids.

Jerith1842

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2019
You might be able to get away with an acara or firemouth, but I think it is pushing it a bit, the 4 Senegal and 2 angels will fill the tank up themselves when full grown. The firemouth would prefer to live in a group as well. Between the two I would say the acara probably a better choice. Keep an eye out for aggression between the angels and the other cichlid. If the angels are a pair, I wouldn't bother adding more cichlids.
And I just was wondering if you meant my 1 four inch bichir or did you think I mean I have 4 bichirs? Haha

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I did mis-read that. I think you could try the acara, but keep an eye on it, cichlids are unpredictable. I might add some other types of fish that wouldn't compete with the angels, maybe bottom-dweller like a catfish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store