720 plywood aquarium build

vincel892

Exodon
MFK Member
May 20, 2019
In the process of designing a 720 gallon plywood aquarium for some monster fish. Took this design off of "greenterra" so check out his thread if you get a chance.

Tank will be built strictly out of 3/4" plywood for the sides and bracing. Each side will have a double layer of 3/4" ply so total thickness will be ~1.5". It will have a front and left sided viewing panel. The inside will be sealed with some Macropoxy 646.

Regarding the seams, I have done some research and asking around. I know most plywood builds use fiberglass/resin or bondo at the seams, but I believe that sealing with just SCS1200 silicone after the epoxy will work. I will be only sealing corners and not side by side pieces plywood. What are everyone's thoughts about this?

The stand is something that I haven't put much thought into yet. I was considering a metal stand but know that a wooden one would be much cheaper. I have seen the standard 2x6" design but concerned about not having center verticals as I need the space underneath for the 180 gallon sump. Hoping someone would have experience with this type of stand and can let me know if it will withstand the weight of a tank this big.

As for the glass panels, I will be going with 19mm non-tempered glass for the left and front viewing panel. I have designed it so the glass makes contact with the plywood viewing window with a 3" area all around. Is this enough? or too much? I would like to maximize viewing area as much as possible so if I can get away with 2" all around then I would gladly do that.

Have not quite figured out plumbing yet but i will be using my 180 gallon as the sump. Any suggestions about filtration and equipment are more than welcome!

Dimensions: 8' L x 4' W x 3' H (~720 gallons)
Materials:
  • 9 plywood sheets- 8'x4'x3/4" thick
  • 2 sheets 19 mm non tempered glass (dimensions to be determined
  • Macropoxy 646 for waterproofing inside
  • SCS1200 silicone for sealing seams and securing glass
To be continued....

Stocking:
  • 7 peacock bass
  • 4 oscars
These guys will be transferred over from current my 180 and 220 gallon.
front color.jpg
top color.jpgdiag color 3.jpgdiag color 1.jpg

vincel892

Exodon
MFK Member
May 20, 2019
First go at a sump design. Decide to try a horizontal mechanical filtration using matala/jap mat with filter floss sandwiched between. This will be followed by a k1 moving bed using matala mat as the barriers on each side. Last will be more bio filtration with ceramic bacteria house media.
My only concern is the k1 section not having enough water volume. May need to modify direction of flow/baffle placement.
Any thoughts/comments?
sump design.jpg

vincel892

Exodon
MFK Member
May 20, 2019
It's a lot like mine. I only went 29 inches tall so I can get it through the door if I ever move. I used truck bed liner and sweetwater epoxy. Never heard of nacropoxy.
Beautiful. Was it 1 " plywood that you used ? Also did you do any pre sealing of the seams with fiber glass resin/ bondo before applying the epoxy?

Any shots from the top. Just curious how the did the top braising

vincel892

Exodon
MFK Member
May 20, 2019
G Guinness did you go with the full plywood dimensions ? As in a 96"x 48" base ?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Reactions: jimmie d wad
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store