75g!!!!!

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I’m new to this all. You were here once too. We learn from mistakes and build up knowledge to then give to the next generation of fish keepers. No matter who you are you gotta start at the bottom and build up
what's your end goal with the flowerhorn? 10+ years? or trade the fish in a few years, hence the reason for tankmates? is rehoming fish easy in your area?

It's easy enough to find why many folks are saying a 75g is only good for 1x 10" plus aggressive fish. If you really want more fish, then get a longer 5-8foot tank.

Reactions: Rtc/tsn and Deadeye

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
Is there even the slightest chance possible that a black belt and flowerhorn could live in a 90g for life. Even the slightest bit of hope? I seem to always get really lucky with this stuff (knock on wood
No. Not a chance. The flowerhorn gotta go.

Reactions: Rocksor and Deadeye

Cich Mind

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2021
Michigan
Congrats on your 75g Rtc/tsn Rtc/tsn ,
Just be careful because both of those fish can grow to 12" each. Black Belts are known to be quite aggressive, and we all know how Flowerhorns can get. I have to agree with the other members that said they won't be able to be housed together. That's a lot of size and attitude for a 75g. A solo Flowerhorn would be perfect for a 75g. But I'm sure you'll figure it all out. The Jack Dempsey and Salvini would have looked nice in there but that is pushing it to the limit for both also, (Salvini can be little a holes). You'll love all the extra room a 75g will provide compared to your previous tanks. GL to you!

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
Really? I thought a 90 would be a bit longer or something
Gallons don't matter. Footprints matter. To me any tank larger than a 40 breeder that doesn't have a 2 foot wide footprint is just a waste of space. Depth is everything in an aquarium, especially when you want to keep larger fish.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Gallons don't matter. Footprints matter. To me any tank larger than a 40 breeder that doesn't have a 2 foot wide footprint is just a waste of space. Depth is everything in an aquarium, especially when you want to keep larger fish.
+1

For example, I would not keep a Bichir in a 55g with the footprint of 48”x12”x24” because he has the potential to grow 14”+. I would way rather keep him in a tank that has more depth. Like 48”x18”x24”. Also, depth means front to back in aquarist-terms.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
what's your end goal with the flowerhorn? 10+ years? or trade the fish in a few years, hence the reason for tankmates? is rehoming fish easy in your area?

It's easy enough to find why many folks are saying a 75g is only good for 1x 10" plus aggressive fish. If you really want more fish, then get a longer 5-8foot tank.
With the flowerhorn honestly I bought it cause I thought it was cool but I’ve actually grown to really love the little guy and have an amazing bond with him. I wouldn’t be mad keeping him alone in 75 for life. It’s extremely hard to rehome fish in my area

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
That’s going to depend on the flowerhorn. Some let cats survive, some don’t.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
That’s going to depend on the flowerhorn. Some let cats survive, some don’t.
Then I’ll start by seeing if he likes my sun catfish or not. If he does then it’ll keep it that way. A sun cat can stay in a 75 right?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store