9" RTG arowana keeps hiding below Heater.

Addi_13

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2016
Hello Guys,

I bought a 9" RTG last month on 24th December, it was in a 340 gallon community tank but his tail and fins got nipped pretty bad so I separated him in a Quarantine tank. Its been around 20 days and he have already healed 80%. Last week I replaced new lights in my setup and soon after few days I noticed he was swimming under the heater time to time. The quarantine setup he currently in, was cycled before I placed him there and the water parameters are good. The water temperature is constantly around 27 degree celsius. He is active and swims around a lot and eats well but in between he have started to hide below the heater. I also tried to switch the old lights on which were dimmer than the new one but he still hides under the heater sometimes during the day. This have started happening since last 1 and half week. Its a barebottom tank and only have few almond leaves in bottom thats why the water is amber in colour in the pictures below.

Few days back I tried to introduce a 4" blood parrot with him but arowana started attacking him so I separated them. I do 30-50% water change every 3-4 days, I also add Seachem safe and rock salt after each water changes, the tank is properly aerated too. The size of the quarantine tank is 30" x 18" x 18". Currently he eats prawns and dried shrimps, I will pellet train him and let him grow around 12" before I reintroduce him in the main tank. Please help me, I hope hiding under heater is normal.

Regards,
Additya

PIC 1.JPG Pic 2.JPG Pic 3.JPG Pic 4.JPG Pic 5.JPG Pic 6.JPG Pic 7.JPG

Addi_13

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2016
Sorry the date in first pic is 5/1/2018 not 5/1/2017. Also the quarantine tank is clear from bottom, the stuff you see at bottom is bits of news paper which is stuck from bottom side of the glass.

DanHOB

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2017
Essex
www.facebook.com
Mine does that when he’s sectioned off (sometimes aggressive) and he done that when we first got him, we thought he was ill but as soon as we put our rays in there he was active again, we put it down to boredom. He literally sits with his face in the corner when he’s on his own.
Might not be why yours is doing it but just thought I’d share what mine done it for.
If he’s eating and parameters are fine then I wouldn’t worry too much, but if he’s trying to get out of the light maybe shade a section of the tank and if he still goes to under heater then maybe he just likes it there...

Reactions: Addi_13

Addi_13

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2016
Mine does that when he’s sectioned off (sometimes aggressive) and he done that when we first got him, we thought he was ill but as soon as we put our rays in there he was active again, we put it down to boredom. He literally sits with his face in the corner when he’s on his own.
Might not be why yours is doing it but just thought I’d share what mine done it for.
If he’s eating and parameters are fine then I wouldn’t worry too much, but if he’s trying to get out of the light maybe shade a section of the tank and if he still goes to under heater then maybe he just likes it there...
Hello Guys,

Yes I felt he was alone and lonely in the tank because he swam around whole day looking at his reflections and thats why I introduced a 4" blood parrot with him but then they started fighting so I separated them. Its a small 50 Gallon (30"x18"x18") Quarantine tank so thats why I dont want to put another fish with him, it might stress both of them. And yes he is active and eating normally. What I did is, I changed the heater position yesterday and increased the temperature to 30 degree celsius, the temperature shows 28 degree though due to the heat loss. He still does rest on that spot without the heater but its very less now.

Today I added more almond leaves and did a 30% water change plus dimmed the lights. Today he is very active and not resting or hanging out on that spot at all. Maybe it was due to the temperature or the lights or maybe just he got bored. I got worried as many people told me he is dying or is going to die even when I was doing everything right, I feel more relieved now thanks to you guys for helping out.

King Regards,
Additya

Reactions: DanHOB

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Don't worry , arowana not so easy die... they are more hardy than what people give credit for

Reactions: Addi_13
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store