90g Stocking questions

Diver1Wilson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2016
Woodlands, TX
Hello everyone, and thank you for taking time out to consult with me on my questions. Before I just ask, I guess a tad bit of back ground info is in order...

1. This is my first ever post on any site pertaining to fish...new member to MKF

2. I am not a professional, nor a beginner to the hobby.

3. Saltwater is cool, but I love freshwater fish...probably due to the fact I work in saltwater (commercial diver)

With that out of the way my question(s) is on the topic of stocking a new 90g tank being installed in my home at the end of Sept.

1. It has an internal overflow / under-gravel filter and has an under-tank sump / canister filtration system.

2. Tank will have a soft sand substrate

3. Two (2) large pieces of wood, and various holey rock / dragon stone ect.. as well as vegetation.

The tank, and decor are being professionally installed and designed as a central/south American environment. I plan on moving my E.B Texas Cichlid, two (2) JD's , four (4) E.B Acara into the new 90g. And I'm curious as to what other S/C American cichlids would you feel comfortable adding to the tank as well as stocking quantities.

Thank you for your time and look forward to learning and sharing knowledge with you on the hobby.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
*First remove that under gravel filter out of your list, it's more harm in long run.
*EB Acara won't last long with JD nor EB Texas and I don't think JD will live happily with EB Texas either (new tank, new envirnoment, new claim for teritorial Blue Acara will be gone really fast).
* Welcome to MFK

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Hi Anthony and Welcome to MFK!!

I can't help on your stocking questions but you mentioned using an undergravel filter AND sand substrate so I'm curious about this type set up. Can you elaborate?

Usually the undergravel plate is perforated and sand tends to fall through the holes rendering it useless so I'm not sure if you are planning on modifying the UG plates to accommodate using sand substrate.

Reactions: Diver1Wilson

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I think you're plenty stocked already.

Diver1Wilson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2016
Woodlands, TX
*First remove that under gravel filter out of your list, it's more harm in long run.
*EB Acara won't last long with JD nor EB Texas and I don't think JD will live happily with EB Texas either (new tank, new envirnoment, new claim for teritorial Blue Acara will be gone really fast).

Thank you I have to admit I'm concerned with the Texas, but it's less than 5" and as of yet hasn't dropped his nuts yet...but I agree, I'll have to keep an eye out for aggressions

Diver1Wilson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2016
Woodlands, TX
Hi Anthony and Welcome to MFK!!

Thank you, and I thought the same, but I've been assured by Fish Gallery that it's all been designed for use this way. Idk for sure.
I can't help on your stocking questions but you mentioned using an undergravel filter AND sand substrate so I'm curious about this type set up. Can you elaborate?

Usually the undergravel plate is perforated and sand tends to fall through the holes rendering it useless so I'm not sure if you are planning on modifying the UG plates to accommodate using sand substrate.

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
Sounds very odd to have a sump, canister and undergravel filter. The sump should be more than sufficient if set up correctly. The other stuff is just going to add more complexity and noise, not to mention the unnecessary visual distraction inside the aquarium.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store