A Question On My Jardini's Colour And Behaviour

Jessabelle?

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2021
I have a Jardini in a 6ftx1.5ftx2.2ft tank and I will be moving it to a 6ftx2.5ftx2ft if it gets close to being too big for this aquarium, so please don't comment on that. It's 5ish inches now and eats a ton, mostly pellets, shrimp, bloodworms, freeze dried krill etc. It likes to stick to the bottom level of the tank when the lights are on, which is a little concerning but is still rather active. It's not very green though, more bronze/goldish and has some red on its fins but no green, which is what worried me. Doesn't look like any of the Jardini's that I have seen. So is this a water problem? I change out 40% of the water once a week and remove uneaten food. Sorry for the long post, I'm just curious as to why it sits at the bottom a lot and why it's colour is odd and a little ugly? Don't worry I still love it lol.
Temperature is at 81 degrees Fahrenheit.
0 ppm Ammonia and Nitrite
15ish ppm Nitrate
pH a little high at 7.8
127E4F48-EEF2-4D86-9E45-542C1A004D26.png

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
I have a Jardini in a 6ftx1.5ftx2.2ft tank and I will be moving it to a 6ftx2.5ftx2ft if it gets close to being too big for this aquarium, so please don't comment on that. It's 5ish inches now and eats a ton, mostly pellets, shrimp, bloodworms, freeze dried krill etc. It likes to stick to the bottom level of the tank when the lights are on, which is a little concerning but is still rather active. It's not very green though, more bronze/goldish and has some red on its fins but no green, which is what worried me. Doesn't look like any of the Jardini's that I have seen. So is this a water problem? I change out 40% of the water once a week and remove uneaten food. Sorry for the long post, I'm just curious as to why it sits at the bottom a lot and why it's colour is odd and a little ugly? Don't worry I still love it lol.
Temperature is at 81 degrees Fahrenheit.
0 ppm Ammonia and Nitrite
15ish ppm Nitrate
pH a little high at 7.8
View attachment 1459465
I have a 9 inch silver arowana that prefers to be in the middle/bottom of the tank I’ve had him since 2 4 inches and he’s always been this way the water perimeters are good he’s not too big for the tank not being bullied nothing it’s just the way he is for some reason so if your water perimeters are good then I wouldn’t worry about him being at the bottom but you could try putting a wallpaper behind the tank and on the two sides it might make him more comfortable and not worry about something attacking from being or from the sides and as for the color I don’t know but I kinda like it lol another thing I just thought of is it might be overwhelmed by such a big area and being the only thing in sight you could try adding a flagtail it would help with algae and maybe a few silver dollars and clown loach

Reactions: Jessabelle?

Jessabelle?

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2021
I have a 9 inch silver arowana that prefers to be in the middle/bottom of the tank I’ve had him since 2 4 inches and he’s always been this way the water perimeters are good he’s not too big for the tank not being bullied nothing it’s just the way he is for some reason so if your water perimeters are good then I wouldn’t worry about him being at the bottom but you could try putting a wallpaper behind the tank and on the two sides it might make him more comfortable and not worry about something attacking from being or from the sides and as for the color I don’t know but I kinda like it lol another thing I just thought of is it might be overwhelmed by such a big area and being the only thing in sight you could try adding a flagtail it would help with algae and maybe a few silver dollars and clown loach
Yeah mine stays at the middle-bottom of the tank too a lot of the time. The back of the tank is painted black but the sides are open. I might add a flagtail but I wasn't sure if Jardinis will actually tolerate tank mates, and I wanted him to have as much space as possible since the tank isn't very big. The colour was my main concern so yeah lol it just doesn't look too much like a Jardini. Thanks for the response!

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Yeah mine stays at the middle-bottom of the tank too a lot of the time. The back of the tank is painted black but the sides are open. I might add a flagtail but I wasn't sure if Jardinis will actually tolerate tank mates, and I wanted him to have as much space as possible since the tank isn't very big. The colour was my main concern so yeah lol it just doesn't look too much like a Jardini. Thanks for the response!
You’re welcome also there’s 2 type of Australian arowana the jardini and the other is the Saratoga I don’t know how to tell the difference between the two they both look alike but what you have is definitely an Australian arowana I just don’t know what type if I can see a better closer picture I can probably find out

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Another thing that I forgot to mention is tank mates as long as the arowana doesn’t hate it then it won’t bother it and since your arowana is still small if you house it with similar sized fish then it’ll learn better that they aren’t meant for eating you just gotta be careful and remember it’s his tank and all the other fish are just visitors

Jessabelle?

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2021
Another thing that I forgot to mention is tank mates as long as the arowana doesn’t hate it then it won’t bother it and since your arowana is still small if you house it with similar sized fish then it’ll learn better that they aren’t meant for eating you just gotta be careful and remember it’s his tank and all the other fish are just visitors
Got it, tbh I kinda like housing it by itself, just because I get to feed it more and there won't be as much waste. And the difference between Saratoga and Jardini is that baby Saratogas don't have their barbells and it's a silver colour rather than bronze, they are also leaner. So this is definitely a Jardini, it's just a different colour, probably just has something to do with the surroundings.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Got it, tbh I kinda like housing it by itself, just because I get to feed it more and there won't be as much waste. And the difference between Saratoga and Jardini is that baby Saratogas don't have their barbells and it's a silver colour rather than bronze, they are also leaner. So this is definitely a Jardini, it's just a different colour, probably just has something to do with the surroundings.
Good luck raising him I’m sure as long as you feed him good then he or she will grow into a beast also just a suggestion you could put a freshwater ray with him just a suggestion I think it would look good

feeling2good

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 30, 2008
USA
The color of the jardini and behavior you mentioned is normal. Nothing to worry about if it's eating and looks healthy.

Reactions: Jessabelle?

Jessabelle?

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2021
The color of the jardini and behavior you mentioned is normal. Nothing to worry about if it's eating and looks healthy.
Thanks for the response. Yeah it looks good, it's just that it's almost 6 inches now and I've seen much smaller Jardinis with darker more green colours (especially on their fins), so do you think the colours will come in as it grows more or will it stay this way? And yeah it eats a ton and definitely looks healthy other than the colour.

Jessabelle?

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2021
Good luck raising him I’m sure as long as you feed him good then he or she will grow into a beast also just a suggestion you could put a freshwater ray with him just a suggestion I think it would look good
I would love to put a ray but the tank that's currently housing it is only 1.5feet wide so I don't think that is quite enough for rays.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store