Chicago
www.**************.com
Melafix

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
Sorry I was temp banned. If you want to breed an invert to use as a live feeder I'd suggest cajun dwarf crayfish. Cherry shrimp are easy to breed but for a growing puffer they may be too small later. A dwarf cray is easy to breed too and they are a good size for an abei puffer IMO. This is what I breed. But I breed the more expensive orange ones. You can find cajun dwarf crays online and get like 7-8 of them for $40 shipped. Some people are offering better deals now too.

The worms reproduce every few weeks. Try not to feed too many worms to your puffer. I usually give mine a worm or 2 about 2-3 times a week. I feed it more as a treat. My puffer loves them.

You can buy root tabs at the LFS or even petco/petsmart. These are good for rooted plants. If you want to do moss and java ferns and things like that root tabs are unnecessary. If you choose moss and ferns you can even go generic on the lighting too. The one thing you want to avoid is spending unnecessary money. Is there any plants in particular you are thinking about? I know quite a few easy plants and could guide you a little bit on their requirements.

ride1226

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
San Diego
Nothing really in particular, I would just like to get the fake plastic crap out of my tank since all it really does is gather algae. I have just a plain old light, and no type of Co2 setup, so I really am not setup for plants according to the girl at my LFS.

What would be easy, any links to the plants would be awesome, and links to root tabs as well. Plants should also help with nitrates and things in my water correct? I have yet to see my puffer attack any of the plants so I think my tank would be decent for it.

As for the small 10g tank I have, would that suffice for breeding those crays? I was told to do marbles since they reproduce fast however I think I would end up with too many quickly and they also look to be too big when mature for my abei to handle.

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
Yeah a 10 gallon is fine for dwarf crays. And you will get many and they will have a chance to grow out. With marble crays they are bigger and I do not think in a 10 gallon will give them chance to grow out. With the dwarf crays you can keep a steady supply of them for your puffer, and they also make a great pet by themselves. As for plants I would just get java moss and some java fern. Maybe an anubias nana. These are nice cheap plants that grow well even if you do not have all the proper set up.

xrayjeeper83

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2010
Jax, FL
He wouldnt want a marbled cray to grow out, they would be to big for his puffer. So feeding the babies would be a good idea. And you can a lot better deal then 7-8 for 40 shipped on marbled, I got 5 for 18 shipped.

And with Plants i started out with a nothing special light and no Co2(still dont have Co2) and my plants did fine. I have a decent light on my 110 now but my 55 has a plain light on it and my water sprite did fine until the crays figured out what it was

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
Dwarf crays will not eat each other too. You also can't fit more than 2 marbled crays in a 10 gallon and you also would not have enough room to grow out many marbled crays. The benefit of dwarf crays is they don't get too big, they have alot of space to grow out, they are more interesting IMO than marbled crays, and they can be sold for a decent amount of money. Plus dwarf crays wont harm/eat plants, fish, or other inverts like snails and shrimp. Marbled crays will eat snails and plants.

xrayjeeper83

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2010
Jax, FL
thats all mainly true, you can keep a good size group of them in a 10g. I know a breeder that use to keep them in a 10g with no problem. But I would agree that you could sell the dwarf for more, I dont think ive ever seen a dwarf. Plus once you sell a marbled to someone your done with that one lol

ride1226

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
San Diego
Where can I get some dwarf crays? Do you have any for sale? How often do they reproduce? And how many should I get for starters so they start sexxing? And special parameters required? I like this idea. Also like the live plant idea.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store