Adding a second Silver Arowana

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
It’s not uncommon for aros to go on hunger strikes after being moved from tank to tank. As long as your parameters are all good I wouldn’t worry about it and give him some time to settle in.

Reactions: Miks786

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
I agree with what has been said....
Silvers almost always go on a hunger strike when you move them from one tank to another
We have had hunger strikes that last nearly a month and almost have you in tears so hang in there
Just make sure that it is not being bullied by the other arowana when you not watching
When you switch your lights off at night, hang around for a little while and try see if anything is going on in the dark that you might be missing'

And obviously your water parameters but that being said, if your other aro is fine, then it should be ok but maybe check just in case
Good luck... its an awesome sight to have two in the tank

Bonytang

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018

Miks786

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 23, 2017
Thank you very much everyone...I really hope he gets better and eats...I also have a channa marulioides (18 inch) in the same tank with him...The channa is normally very peaceful...He does not swim near the channa so could that also be a problem?

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
Thank you very much everyone...I really hope he gets better and eats...I also have a channa marulioides (18 inch) in the same tank with him...The channa is normally very peaceful...He does not swim near the channa so could that also be a problem?
I dont have first hand experience keeping chana... the little i know is just from reading the occasional thread
If it has been with your other Aro until now, i would think its ok but im not sure...
Why dont you do a quick search on "tankmates and behaviour" on the chana section of the forum? Im sure there will be quite a lot of info there

I still believe ( if you dont see injuries and water is fine) that she needs time to settle and isl probably on a typical hunger strike
That being said, i also believe that you need watch the tank when lights are out at night, that has solved many mysteries for us in the past

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Are you feeding live insects? That often breaks hunger strikes, along with plants to provide security.

SneakyDog773

Gambusia
Jan 18, 2016
Will do thank you very much
How is he doing? Every Arowana that I've had went on a hunger strike at first. They can't NOT eat after a week or two. LOL optimism.. Nonetheless, completely normal. As for compatibility.. In my experience keeping Are the largest always becomes the most dominant in the tank regardless of the amount of time each fish has spent in the tank. Since you have a fairly large footprint, I wouldn't expect any problems. I would however expect aggression issues if the tank was smaller. Even then I've seen two silver Arowana coexist together after one had already established itself. After bouts of aggression and scale loss. But as stated I wouldn't expect you to have any issues. I've found that Arowana show less aggression in tanks with odd numbers of Arowana. As well as other schooling fish such as silver dollars to keep them dismissive.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store