Advice on B. rousseauxii

Scottymac22

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2019
Acquired about 2 weeks ago, 4" not including caudal fin, in 55g QT, temp 82-83° on average on calibrated IR temp gun, cycled emperor 400, 4" aquaculture stone, koralia 600gph wave pump(good amount of circulation and oxygenation), heavily decorated with large driftwood and plants, near Blackwater coloration with moderate light. Only seen him eat a small handful of times and never to the point of being full. Swims actively at night, hangs out during the day. So far I've tried rosies(not great I know but trying to get him to feed at all), live black worms, ghost shrimp, hikari sinking carnivore pellets, NLS with garlic sinking pellets, and frozen blood worms.

Looking for tricks to get him to feed. I figured after the 1st week of settling he should be eating more regularly...

20190323_190023.jpg

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Had the same issue with my b. Capapratum and the shop were feeding him worms. I have found he likes cooked mussel meat best but at some point need to wean him off this or start adding vitamins. Took him 3 weeks to eat anything though! So they will eventually eat when ready.

Reactions: Scottymac22

Scottymac22

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2019
Had the same issue with my b. Capapratum and the shop were feeding him worms. I have found he likes cooked mussel meat best but at some point need to wean him off this or start adding vitamins. Took him 3 weeks to eat anything though! So they will eventually eat when ready.
Hey a reply! Lol awesome. I'll try some mussels, actually have some in the fridge lol

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The only trick I know of is making the fish comfortable, which sounds like you have done. If you open the lid and place the feed in and the dourada doesn't dart, nor does it dart at other times, it is likely comfortable.

I've never offered mine anything but pellets and thawed fish from the moment they come to me and never had to resort to any special effort - sooner or later they all started to feed on what was offered.

These fish are rather sensitive and may take longer time not only to adjust to tank and water but to give new types of feed a try too.

Reactions: Scottymac22
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store