Afromastacembelus frenatus

ZanaZoola14

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2023
Has anyone had any experience keeping these eels with other fish/cichlids?

I've researched, and it says they should be good as long as the fish are not overly aggressive or too small.
What would classify as "too small"? Is there a general measurement like under 2" is too small?

And any others that are native to Lake Tang? I heard about a. ellipsifer, and I wonder if there are others that are actually manageable to get (no rules against their keeping or against shipping).

These questions are mainly due to being curious as to what their mouth size is, as well as what size something would transition from prey to not prey.
Any natives to the lake suit staying with these or other eels? Any shell dwellers - or are we looking at much larger or non at all?

Thanks.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
M. Ellipsifer and m.frenatus are two of the larger tanganikan eels at around 18” but m.Polli, m.Plagiostomis should both stay under 12” and as such should be able to be kept with shell dwellers.
The easiest to get hold of here in the uk though of the four is probably ellipsifer.

ZanaZoola14

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2023
M. Ellipsifer and m.frenatus are two of the larger tanganikan eels at around 18” but m.Polli, m.Plagiostomis should both stay under 12” and as such should be able to be kept with shell dwellers.
The easiest to get hold of here in the uk though of the four is probably ellipsifer.
Ok, great thanks. I'm UK and currently have access to m.frenatus, however, I should be able to source/locate others. I'll be on the lookout for those smallers eels.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

I've researched, and it says they should be good as long as the fish are not overly aggressive or too small.
What would classify as "too small"? Is there a general measurement like under 2" is too small?

And any others that are native to Lake Tang? I heard about a. ellipsifer, and I wonder if there are others that are actually manageable to get (no rules against their keeping or against shipping).

These questions are mainly due to being curious as to what their mouth size is, as well as what size something would transition from prey to not prey.
Any natives to the lake suit staying with these or other eels? Any shell dwellers - or are we looking at much larger or non at all?

Thanks.
Welcome aboard

Reactions: Fishman Dave

ZanaZoola14

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2023
If the shell dwellers are L. Meleagris would the sqme still apply, or would we be looking at M. Frenatus working?

latapy10

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2019
Europe

Thanks.
I had mastacembalus frenatus with two big ctenopomas.And it was very shy and cryptic type of spiny eel.

Reactions: ZanaZoola14

ZanaZoola14

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2023
I had mastacembalus frenatus with two big ctenopomas.And it was very shy and cryptic type of spiny eel.
I do not mind shy, and I am generally up through the night in pain due to health issues; so would see it then as well — possibly feed then to help make sure it gets the food.

Anything else you found with m. Frenatus? And would you try with smaller? 5" being the smallest in the tank (excluding any fry).

Thanks!

latapy10

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2019
Europe
I do not mind shy, and I am generally up through the night in pain due to health issues; so would see it then as well — possibly feed then to help make sure it gets the food.

Anything else you found with m. Frenatus? And would you try with smaller? 5" being the smallest in the tank (excluding any fry).

Thanks!
He will not harm or attack to other fishes.My got some frozen bloodworms.He was active at night.

ZanaZoola14

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2023
He will not harm or attack to other fishes.My got some frozen bloodworms.
Nice, I might try it when all mine are fully grown then get a small eel, got plenty of frozen and live food for them to eat. Would they dig through sand if I was to partially berry food for them to hunt (and keep the sand turning over as it will be 2-3".

Reactions: latapy10
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store