Aggression Issues with all fish

jmf

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Hi People,

Sorry for the long post :)

I have an aggression issue with all my fish. My baby JD try's to kill any bn pleco I put into his tank His in a 30g grow out tank (he already attacks me and everything in the tank), my 2 baby blood parrots (yes I know) are in a 45g grow out tank and they attack the plecos in their tank as well.

I thought "hey I'll put my JD in the 80g tank with my Australian bass"....Unfortunately, my bass has discovered how big he is and decided that the total tank is his and only his and guess what? He was turned on the to bn plecos as well in his tank all of a sudden (he has cut his jaw badly in the process). I had to move the JD back into the 30g and move the plecos around to my fry grow out tank, as I have run out off tanks.

Has this happed to anyone else, where their fish have just decided to become little $%#@? In the opinion of the smart people here, I'm I left with only 2 options? that is rehoming some fish or buy more tanks?

I seem to have a history of silly crazy fish. My dearly departed Oscar killed and destroyed heaters, tanks etc. Also, when said Oscar was a baby, I had a killer Rainbow fish that would attack him and everything else lol

On a side note, it was very interesting to say way some fish just don't belong together. My JD and Bass I believe couldn't "understand" each other. My bass was flaring up like a Betta to him and he thought it was some sort of friendly signal as the JD was following around the Bass all over the tank, until the Bass snapped and tried to kill him.

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
this is the way cichlids behave in a closed system in the wild the other fish would just swim away in the confines of an aquarium there is no where to go. a larger tank can help also best to introduce fish all together especially with cichlids.

Reactions: Drstrangelove

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
in the wild the other fish would just swim away in the confines of an aquarium there is no where to go.
Hello; This. You have picked some very territorial fish. Not sure how big you might need to go to have a tank where some of these can be kept together.
May be the rehome route is the way to go.
If you can afford and have the place for more tanks/and or bigger tanks that may be a good plan. My guess is even if you re home some of the fish, the ones kept will need bigger tanks anyway.
I do not think any of the tanks you listed are big enough but having décor or plants arranged so that line of sight is interrupted might help. Hiding places at each end of a tank with some sight barrier in the center. Even in the 80 gallon an aggressive territorial fish likely will still not give the other any peace.
Good luck anyway.

jmf

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
I do not think any of the tanks you listed are big enough but having décor or plants arranged so that line of sight is interrupted might help. Hiding places at each end of a tank with some sight barrier in the center. Even in the 80 gallon an aggressive territorial fish likely will still not give the other any peace.
Good luck anyway.
I agree I have come to the decision to cut down on the number of tanks I have and get a couple of larger ones.

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
As already stated, the tanks your fish are in are too small and that's why you're seeing aggression.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store