Alligator Gar - broken back?

Ryan Humprey

Feeder Fish
Aug 20, 2018
Hello folks,

I came home today to a rather unpleasant site - my 8" alligator seems to have injured itself. It's back is now bent, and it seems like it cannot function any part behind the bent portion - it is getting around a little bit using only it's pectoral fins whilst flailing it's whole rear end in an effort to use it's tail. It did take food this evening, but swimming seems to be a strain and it's not as active as usual. Water parameters are fine. It has no tank-mates to be bullying it, so the only logical conclusion I could draw is that it rammed into the glass a little too hard.

I guess my question is - is there a chance of the fish recovering from this, or will it always live a less than full tail-less life?

davemal

Piranha
MFK Member
May 15, 2007
Neath
I had orfe that had the same thing they look bad but seem to get on with life. My orfe had a bent back coz of an electrical fault

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
I’ve had it happen. I don’t know what causes it but he’s straight as can be and a monster now it took a long time to straighten out

Amhaz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
Hello folks,

I came home today to a rather unpleasant site - my 8" alligator seems to have injured itself. It's back is now bent, and it seems like it cannot function any part behind the bent portion - it is getting around a little bit using only it's pectoral fins whilst flailing it's whole rear end in an effort to use it's tail. It did take food this evening, but swimming seems to be a strain and it's not as active as usual. Water parameters are fine. It has no tank-mates to be bullying it, so the only logical conclusion I could draw is that it rammed into the glass a little too hard.

I guess my question is - is there a chance of the fish recovering from this, or will it always live a less than full tail-less life?
I don't think the gar will recover.Based on your story, the injury is very serious.Just give the gar an extra care.

Leebtattoos

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2012
Lampasas, Texas
Basing it solely on what you wrote, I agree, it’s not a good chance of recovery. Pictures may help more.

But good luck and sorry if you lose your fish

Rithul

Feeder Fish
Jan 19, 2023
i have one aligator gar it did not swim for few weeks, when i looked at it carefully i noticed that it body is bent so will it cure or not. also it is not eating properly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store