And so the new journey begins...

Gar88

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2011
INDIA
I liked the look of this fish a mini arowana... :) the butterfly fish - pantodon buchholzi.... Top dweller... It looked awesome when I saw that....

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ Definitely cool looking fish and something i've thought about keeping in the past... but i think if i remember correctly they grow to like 5" or 6" long, and will eat small fishes / Inverts?

If they would top out at say 2" and not eat other fish then i would definitely consider them, but if they top out at 5" or 6", then i'd be worried about losing some of my other stock in the tank... plus, at that size (compared to all the other tank mates), it will look like i have a blimp floating around in my tank of small residents :)

GrantA94

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2011
cumbria
So, firstly, the tank looks great. I am incredibly envious. I look forward to watching the growth of the plants. I may have missed it, but, do you plan to fertilise?

Secondly, regarding stocking. I don't know how they fair with shrimps and the like, but what about badis badis (or something of the badis genus), not to be confused with dario dario. They grow a little larger at around 8cm for males. But I think they look fantastic. Failing that, what about some of the more unusual of the dario genus? I like dario hysginon (spelling?). They may be harder to find than scarlet badis, but IMO they are worth it.

Finally, keep posting updates! I love where this is going! It's like I have my own planted tank without any of the cost, space usage and maintenance :D

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Thanks for the amazing comments and suggestions :)

Now to answer your questions, yes i will be dosing the tank with ferts, but most likely at a slightly later time as i am currently using the "New Amazonia" ADA soil, which supposedly comes packed full of nutrients so i should be good for a little while? Although i am still dosing with Excel every 2nd day as a carbon source replacement if you will (since i'm waiting to see if Co2 injection is 100% necessary with the plants i have)

I do like your fish suggestions as well, but quick question, so the Badis Badis is it just a blue variant of the Scarlet badis? if so, i could definitely see that working in the tank a little later down the line if my shrimp colony works out? As for availability, luckily for me, i live in Hong Kong, so i would guess if its not available right now, it may still show up if its just a seasonal thing... so will be keeping a look out for those once i start stocking the tank... I mean worst comes to worst, i can always try talking to a few shops i know to see if they can even bring some in with their orders :p

Anyway, i will definitely try and keep this thread updated as much as possible with loads of pics so all of you can all tank develop as time goes on, but i have to say, even for me myself, it will be interesting to revisit the older posts here just to really appreciate how the tank (hopefully) evolves...

GrantA94

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2011
cumbria
Thanks for the amazing comments and suggestions :)

Now to answer your questions, yes i will be dosing the tank with ferts, but most likely at a slightly later time as i am currently using the "New Amazonia" ADA soil, which supposedly comes packed full of nutrients so i should be good for a little while? Although i am still dosing with Excel every 2nd day as a carbon source replacement if you will (since i'm waiting to see if Co2 injection is 100% necessary with the plants i have)

I do like your fish suggestions as well, but quick question, so the Badis Badis is it just a blue variant of the Scarlet badis? if so, i could definitely see that working in the tank a little later down the line if my shrimp colony works out? As for availability, luckily for me, i live in Hong Kong, so i would guess if its not available right now, it may still show up if its just a seasonal thing... so will be keeping a look out for those once i start stocking the tank... I mean worst comes to worst, i can always try talking to a few shops i know to see if they can even bring some in with their orders :p

Anyway, i will definitely try and keep this thread updated as much as possible with loads of pics so all of you can all tank develop as time goes on, but i have to say, even for me myself, it will be interesting to revisit the older posts here just to really appreciate how the tank (hopefully) evolves...
My pleasure :)

I see, so, is CO2 more of a last resort? I myself have never used CO2 and have pretty good results with plants. I personally think if you select the species of plant correctly (to fit your system/equipment) you needn't use it.

Now with regards to fish:
It confuses me too, but here goes:
The main difference between the dario genus and the badis genus is the size (the badis being larger). Here's where it gets confusing - scarlet badis belong to the dario genus (dario dario) despite the common name. Badis badis are larger (6-8cm), but in terms if behaviour and the like they are very similar. Anything of the dario genus can be expected to grow to a similar size to dario dario (scarlet badis) and equally anything of a badis genus can be expected to reach similar size as badis badis.

Do you follow? I'm not sure if I follow after that! :p

I am sooo tempted to get myself a nano (30-50L) and give this a try with some CRS and cherries along with some darios. Just to convince the girlfiend:rolleyes:

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ hahaha, i'll admit it was a little confusing but i got it in the end...

As for the Co2, yeah it really is a last resort atm, since i keep hearing conflicting info from a lot of growers where some believe you can grow almost any plant without Co2, while others believe without it a lot of plants wont grow without it...

So i guess you can say im trying to test the theory of not using Co2 injection to grow the current plants i have... Which will be interesting to see in a few days / weeks time...

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Can any one recommend some fast growing plants that dont need co2 or to be physically planted?

Im asking coz im thinking of possibly getting some just to suck up the extra nutrients and to prevent chances of algae forming as easily...

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ thanks... Ever since i discovered them i fell in love with them too...

Although now im noticing a little bit of plant melting going on, most likely from the change of setting for the plants and all the extra nutrients...

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
Homer, it's looking great, but do yourself a favor and just throw down for a decent CO2 system. It's like baking some really good brownies and then skipping out on milk because it's too much of a hassle to go down to the store... JUST DO IT!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store