And so the new journey begins...

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
subscribed, and your tank is definitly going to look better than mine does lol

However, I want to add that liquid CO2 (mainly excel) is not a replacement for actual injection, especially I feel in a 60 gallon. Excel is a different source of carbon, and while better than nothing, is still not as good as actual injection of co2. I beleive it is a glutameraldeydechemicalthingie. Yah...that was descriptive/informative on my part lol. Also, some plants I hear can be a little sensitive to excel, and the chemicals in excel are also used as disinfectants. I know many people who dose excel in a particular way to allow them to kill BBA and the like, so I like to keep that in mind when I dose it into a tank where I generally want things to live.

Anyways, if you plan on EI dosing then CO2 is needed, and on a 60 gallon DIY co2 is kind of more or less silly. I guess you could try to do a paintball tank thing but even on my 75 I plan on just going all out, I mean if you sell clippings and such then I guess it pays over time right?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ thanks for the comment... Yeah i realize excel isnt a true replacement but still seems to work ok in certain cases...

As for the looks, well its only just started so hard to say what it will look like... Could still turn into a right mess...

Anyway will upload a few more pictures in a bit...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
As promised... here are a couple more pics...

Prepping the tank to do some quick re-sealing around the top of the tank...
IMG_7255 copy.jpg

Marking up the areas to cut from the 3D Background...
IMG_7258 copy.jpg

The background after being cut to size...
IMG_7259 copy.jpg

Clearing up the area to place the 3D background in place...
IMG_7260 copy.jpg

Checking out the placement of the background before siliconing it into place..
IMG_7262 copy.JPG

The background now stuck into place...
IMG_7264 copy.jpg

Testing out the placement for the first pieces of wood...
IMG_7265 copy.jpg

After adding in a couple more pieces...
IMG_7268 copy.JPG

Different angle...
IMG_7270 copy.jpg

And from the top down at another angle...
IMG_7271 copy.jpg

So yeah... thats pretty much the temporary placement for the driftwood atm... until i come back to it tomorrow and see if i still like the design or not... then i'll be adding in the pieces of rock to finish off the hardscape...

Any comments / criticism is more than welcome :)

IMG_7258 copy.jpg

IMG_7255 copy.jpg

IMG_7259 copy.jpg

IMG_7262 copy.JPG

IMG_7260 copy.jpg

IMG_7265 copy.jpg

IMG_7268 copy.JPG

IMG_7270 copy.jpg

IMG_7271 copy.jpg

IMG_7264 copy.jpg

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Nice, looking forward to seeing how it evolves. once i was happy with my hardscape the planting was easy. i tossed out my bottle of excel a few years ago. it killed my Vals and the only shrimp i could keep in the tank long term where amanos, crs, tigers, tried a few others iir all would be dead after a fews days.

what are you doing for lighting? or did i miss it?

btw i love the footprint, if i didnt have a 55 collecting dust i was going to upsize our planted to a 40b.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Nice, looking forward to seeing how it evolves. once i was happy with my hardscape the planting was easy. i tossed out my bottle of excel a few years ago. it killed my Vals and the only shrimp i could keep in the tank long term where amanos, crs, tigers, tried a few others iir all would be dead after a fews days.

what are you doing for lighting? or did i miss it?

btw i love the footprint, if i didnt have a 55 collecting dust i was going to upsize our planted to a 40b.
Wow, i didnt know that excel messed with certain shrimp species... Although i've on dabbled in RCS, CRS and sulawesi before...

As for lighting, no you didnt miss it :) its duel t5 ho lighting under the hood

Oh and btw, its never too late to upgrade if you have some space around ;)

Me likeses where its heading :)
Thanks, that why i didnt want to say too much at the beginning since i wasnt sure if i could pull off what i had in mind :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store