Animals for an aviary!!!!

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Are there any more exotic species that can live with the budgies and cockateils?
Finches, but you would need a larger area.

Why not change the stocking and go with a large group of gouldian finch, each bird would look very very different

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I have two budgies and a sun conure. During the day they are free in my room. At night they go back to their own cages, till my conure starting to throw a absolute fit. I moved the budgies in with him and he stopped the screaming. Birds are much like us, each has its own personality and should be treated as such.
So you can try conures but be ready to separate if it doesn't work out. They are called mini macaws for a reason. They have a full on hook beak that could loop off a finger.20200210_095317.jpg

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
I have two budgies and a sun conure. During the day they are free in my room. At night they go back to their own cages, till my conure starting to throw a absolute fit. I moved the budgies in with him and he stopped the screaming. Birds are much like us, each has its own personality and should be treated as such.
So you can try conures but be ready to separate if it doesn't work out. They are called mini macaws for a reason. They have a full on hook beak that could loop off a finger.View attachment 1424013
I too have these demons
A sun conure means lots of loud screaming, luckily mine are on the terrace and they would scream only in the mornings or evenings, and they can be real rowdies.

Here's my pair of sun conuresIMG_20200621_075041.jpg

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
So you can try conures but be ready to separate if it doesn't work out. They are called mini macaws for a reason. They have a full on hook beak that could loop off a finger.View attachment 1424013
Isn’t her name Phoenix? She’s a beautiful bird, I’ve been trying to persuade my parents to let me get one. They think it’s gonna be very loud, so I’m looking for one that isn’t as loud.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Isn’t her name Phoenix? She’s a beautiful bird, I’ve been trying to persuade my parents to let me get one. They think it’s gonna be very loud, so I’m looking for one that isn’t as loud.
Look for smaller conures
Crimson belly conure
Green cheek conure (and it's 100 mutations)
Pearly conure

These are quiet birds

Last edited:

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
So I decided that I'm no longer staying in the fish/reptile game (find out my parents don't acutally like them) so I have 2 budgies that I'll love to build an aviary for but I'm think what other animals can be suitable to live with? Ps the aviary build is 8 feet long 6 feet wide and 6 feet tall
So how did this come as a complete surprise to you that your parents didn't want fish and reptiles? Didn't you already purchase a tank?

How do your parents feel about this new idea. Better ask them before putting the cart before the horse again.

And no sugar gliders are cute therefore evil don't trust those little monsters with anything.

Do you live in a warm state? Are the birds going to survive the nights and winters?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I would be careful with any birds larger than a cockatiel with the budgies. Even the cockatiel could damage the smaller birds easily if it wanted to, though they are not usually very aggressive. Conures may be possible as well but also could hurt the smaller birds without intending to.

But to be honest I have a feeling this is all pretty far fetched, and not very well thought out. Most these birds have a lifespan of 15-20+ years. If you don't plan on living with you parents for the next 20 years, what will happen to the birds in the aviary when you go to school, or just move out into an apartment? You won't be able to take them with you in either scenario, so do your parents want to take care of a large number of birds for you for years on end? And is all this worth it if you are only going to be with the birds for 3-5 years, a small fraction of their lives?

And on mixing the reptiles and mammals... while it may be theoretically possible with some species, it's generally considered a fool's undertaking to even mix different species of reptiles, let alone different families of animals in the same enclosure. Zoos who have large budgets and staffs of employees to care for the animals will have a much easier time of it than a young guy with limited resources.

I really think you should pump the brakes and get some experience caring for these animals individually before attempting such an ambitious undertaking. You are young, you have all the time in the world to experience different pets, you don't need to get them all at once. I had similar enthusiasm at a young age and big dreams, I can appreciate that and I think it's great. But also knowing your limits and not overextending yourself is something you have to keep in mind.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Birds are a big commitment, take a lot of time and effort.

With my work and other pets, me keeping em wouldn't have been possible at all if it wasn't for the wife who is also interested and taking up all the related upkeep.

MatteoTheEnder22

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2020
Miami
Look for smaller conures
Crimson belly conure
Green cheek conure (and it's 100 mutations)
Pearly conure

These are quiet birds
Yeah I heard these guys are not very loud my grandparents used to have a sun conure amd it was the loudest thing in the world the good thing it scared of all the pigeons away.
So how did this come as a complete surprise to you that your parents didn't want fish and reptiles? Didn't you already purchase a tank?

How do your parents feel about this new idea. Better ask them before putting the cart before the horse again.

And no sugar gliders are cute therefore evil don't trust those little monsters with anything.

Do you live in a warm state? Are the birds going to survive the nights and winters?
yeah I already just asked them so what fish/reptiles you guys like and they said they are disgusting so I decided better to just save them till I move out also they enjoy the birds a whole lot better my family in reality is a bird family my dad used to breed birds back when he lived Uruguay. Also I live in florida and the everglades is about 2 miles away and if were to get too cold O’m going to be putting like a cabinet that I can close up and they're would heat lamps to keep them warm.
I would be careful with any birds larger than a cockatiel with the budgies. Even the cockatiel could damage the smaller birds easily if it wanted to, though they are not usually very aggressive. Conures may be possible as well but also could hurt the smaller birds without intending to.

But to be honest I have a feeling this is all pretty far fetched, and not very well thought out. Most these birds have a lifespan of 15-20+ years. If you don't plan on living with you parents for the next 20 years, what will happen to the birds in the aviary when you go to school, or just move out into an apartment? You won't be able to take them with you in either scenario, so do your parents want to take care of a large number of birds for you for years on end? And is all this worth it if you are only going to be with the birds for 3-5 years, a small fraction of their lives?

And on mixing the reptiles and mammals... while it may be theoretically possible with some species, it's generally considered a fool's undertaking to even mix different species of reptiles, let alone different families of animals in the same enclosure. Zoos who have large budgets and staffs of employees to care for the animals will have a much easier time of it than a young guy with limited resources.

I really think you should pump the brakes and get some experience caring for these animals individually before attempting such an ambitious undertaking. You are young, you have all the time in the world to experience different pets, you don't need to get them all at once. I had similar enthusiasm at a young age and big dreams, I can appreciate that and I think it's great. But also knowing your limits and not overextending yourself is something you have to keep in mind.
Yeah I’m really committed to caring for them most probably i’m not going to move out until I have a property also I guess i’ll wait till i’m 16 so i can get a paca in which it can live in there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store