Anubias Wilting

littleturt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2014
United States
My anubias hastofolia is wilting and falling apart and I'm worried it'll spread to my other plants. I have three anubias plants in my 150 gallon tank and I've just recently introduced them. They're still attaching themselves to the driftwood I tied them too but one of them is almost completely done. That is to say two of its leaves are completely barren (I've removed them) and most of the other leaves are falling apart. At the base of the dying leaves' stalks I see brown so I'm wondering if this is root rot or something along those lines. The leaves themselves become translucent in areas (which made me think of a magnesium deficiency) and start looking torn up around the edges. I think my goldfish are eating at the edges of the dying anubias.
Additionally about three of the leaves turned white at the edges which progressed further along the leaf until they began to die. I'll post pictures soon but I'm wondering if anyone has any idea as to what this is.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Mine have done that in the presence of too much salt, or if snails have attacked them. Also I've found my anubias do well with somewhat subdued lighting, they suffer if given too much direct light and start rotting a bit

littleturt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2014
United States
Mine have done that in the presence of too much salt, or if snails have attacked them. Also I've found my anubias do well with somewhat subdued lighting, they suffer if given too much direct light and start rotting a bit
The sunlight may be it. They are often in direct sunlight and while I've heard that's a good thing for them I've also heard that it's not the best environment for anubias. My tank is freshwater so it should be fine and I don't have snails either :/. I added Flourish to the tank once I put the anubias in so I'm thinking maybe that upset their balance somehow? I'm going to have to pull one though as all of the leaves have become shredded. It's a possiblity that my goldfish are biting at the roots but I'm not sure if that would cause the reactions I'm seeing in the leaves

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
The rhizomes are quite resilient, if possible; try moving it to a dark part of the tank, it may well recover :)

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
It's depend on adaptation on each Anubias, I divided and moved a lot of my anubias between my tanks and some of them doing very well or completely fine in new enviroment and some will melt down and died off completely. I don't use salt in my tanks but the lighting on each tank is different, the one in very low light tank always grow better but the leaf look dark and small, the one in high light (planted tank) are look much better with flushy green and broader leafs but they are prone to melt down than those in low light enviroment.

Reactions: Oxymus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store