Any anti-sloshing ideas for transporting fish via car?

Maxdevine00

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2020
I am moving this Friday (~6.5 hrs) and transporting my 9 inch Oscar. I have a 35gal Rubbermaid tote with lid as well as a battery powered air stone. I am mostly worried about the effects of sloshing on the safety of my fish. Does anyone have experience with this type of move or have any ideas for how to minimize sloshing? I have heard about placing foam on top of the water but I’m worried this would prevent adequate gas exchange and result in low oxygen/death. I would appreciate any help at all! Thank you!

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
If it's only 6.5 hours and the temperature will be controlled, you could bag him right up. Big fish are shipped overnight in bags. Just need the real big ones. Maybe bring an extra bucket of water and bags in case he pops the first one. Don't feed for a few days before so there's nothing to poop out and foul up the water.

Maxdevine00

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2020
Thanks for your reply! I was considering the bag option but I do not know where to get any on such short notice. Also, I do not have access to the pure oxygen that they use in the bags. Do you think the bucket idea would still work if I could not get any bags?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I bet if you have a local fish store you could get some from them, explain the situation and say you'll give them a couple bucks for some. Hopefully they wouldn't charge you even, just make sure to get extras.
Alternatively you could put them in the bin with or without the pump, I have brought fish on 4 hour drives in a bucket in a truck before with no pump. I would still purge them for a few days before the trip and make sure the temp doesn't get too hot.

Maxdevine00

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2020
We do have a LFS so i'll give them a call right now! And how big of a bag should a 9 inch oscar go into? I planned on bringing ice just in case as well as keeping the AC full blast to help with the heat.

So have you heard anything (other than driving carefully) that could keep the water from sloshing the fish so bad? I just don't know how much he can take without being injured since I have never moved him before. Thanks again!!

Maxdevine00

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2020
Would that trash compactor bag method work without pure oxygen for 6.5hrs? Or could I leave it open at the top?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Either way pure oxygen isn't necessary just make sure you trap a bunch of air in there. if you were concerned about it you could untie them half way and switch the air out.
And I would ask for the biggest bags they have, hopefully they've got some big ones. Trash compactor, or any big thick garbage bags (that don't have any antifungal, antimold, antipest, or scent stuff added) will be OK too if you can't get any at the LFS.

Reactions: tlindsey

Maxdevine00

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2020
Perfect! Thanks y’all!! I’ll go tomorrow and see what they have because that would definitely be an easier method vs the 35 gal Rubbermaid.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store