Any Bonsai tree Keepers?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I know some people whom I would like to have sit on some of those plants.

Bonytang

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
I have always wanted to get into bonsai trees. Do any members keep any that would be willing to help a guy get started?

Ideally I would like to replicate a mangrove swamp or Cambodian temple etc...
hey what's up i kept my 1st tea tree bonsai in a tetra tank and did ok at least few 2/maybe 3 years.. had it planted where the root base (bonsai tray) was just above water level, propped it w/ a bucket that had a big hole in it for the tetra cave & LED clamp lamp was the only lighting, probably 1 one of less than many downfalls..Used 37 gallon garage sale acrylic tank, tons of oxygen from a air pump for 100 gallon tank, old school all the way. Moss was collected from forest preserve, fire flies from the back yard, & some plants from the garden like 3 daisy's. Think it had root rot, hard to trim, and leaves + bugs in the water all the time i guess wasn't bad..overall was cool! but really just not that good.. was like 20 years ago (yep) but saw some on yutube recently that had a lot better luck. If you try though.. now i'd do an aquaponic tank system where roots fall/hangs from net cups or wire mesh sheet. Small air pump will drive oxygen up and roots will just hang above water level. clay, pebble, & aquascaping soil mix base, auto-mist, temperature gauge system, probably need inner tank refugium for best longevity. bonsai doesn't like too many changes and aquascape tanks maybe have tendency to lots of change maybe start from seed probably best. Post pics though!

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
hey what's up i kept my 1st tea tree bonsai in a tetra tank and did ok at least few 2/maybe 3 years.. had it planted where the root base (bonsai tray) was just above water level, propped it w/ a bucket that had a big hole in it for the tetra cave & LED clamp lamp was the only lighting, probably 1 one of less than many downfalls..Used 37 gallon garage sale acrylic tank, tons of oxygen from a air pump for 100 gallon tank, old school all the way. Moss was collected from forest preserve, fire flies from the back yard, & some plants from the garden like 3 daisy's. Think it had root rot, hard to trim, and leaves + bugs in the water all the time i guess wasn't bad..overall was cool! but really just not that good.. was like 20 years ago (yep) but saw some on yutube recently that had a lot better luck. If you try though.. now i'd do an aquaponic tank system where roots fall/hangs from net cups or wire mesh sheet. Small air pump will drive oxygen up and roots will just hang above water level. clay, pebble, & aquascaping soil mix base, auto-mist, temperature gauge system, probably need inner tank refugium for best longevity. bonsai doesn't like too many changes and aquascape tanks maybe have tendency to lots of change maybe start from seed probably best. Post pics though!
Lot of good choices for bonsai in top of tanks such as willow,bald cypress and dawn redwood,there are also water bonsais

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store