Anyone have any hybrid projects going on?

maxstillen

Dovii
MFK Member
May 10, 2007
Denver, CO
I had cubanXred monkey few months ago. Frys looked like garbage at 3-4 inches. Gave them away to friends to feed pbass. Culled the rest.

Also carpintisXred monkey. Grew out to about 3-4 inches looked like garbage also. Gave away to friends, rest were culled.

Was trying cubanXblack nasty but female too small and gave the 2 to a buddy to try out. No luck yet.

Next project I'm thinking about red doviiXhondo jag?

Cichlids keeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2020
Massachusetts
I had cubanXred monkey few months ago. Frys looked like garbage at 3-4 inches. Gave them away to friends to feed pbass. Culled the rest.

Also carpintisXred monkey. Grew out to about 3-4 inches looked like garbage also. Gave away to friends, rest were culled.

Was trying cubanXblack nasty but female too small and gave the 2 to a buddy to try out. No luck yet.

Next project I'm thinking about red doviiXhondo jag?
I wouldn't cross closely related species, the fry usually looks very similar to the parents. There are black nasty and Cuban crosses with other species that look good though,
Super Red Cuban (Cuban x Red Texas)
maxresdefault (3).jpg
Credit: Your Fish keeper Friend
Red Nasty (Black nasty x Super Red Monkey)
maxresdefault (4).jpg
Credit: Your Fish keeper Friend
I think that Nandopsis crosses are pretty interesting. I personally wouldn't cross the a jag with a dovii, they look nice, but they usually aren't too interesting looking imo. The carpintis x red Monkey sound interesting, it seems like you could get a red Carpintis with worm pearls and a large nuchal hump, it sucks that you can't usually end up with a good looking hybrid on the first try.

maxstillen

Dovii
MFK Member
May 10, 2007
Denver, CO
Good info. I just tried these cross because i have them around. So just to see what comes out. But I'm really trying to get a red jag. Kinda like those xanthic jags that I've seen on you tube from days ago. It be nice to get them back on the market if anyone has a pair to spread.

Cichlids keeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2020
Massachusetts
Good info. I just tried these cross because i have them around. So just to see what comes out. But I'm really trying to get a red jag. Kinda like those xanthic jags that I've seen on you tube from days ago. It be nice to get them back on the market if anyone has a pair to spread.
I'm not usually a fan of morphs on fish but I think axanthic jags look pretty nice. The only morph I would really own though are red dovii, maybe that's just because I'm a big fan of dovii though. I bet there is someone that still sells axanthic jags, you just have to search around. Edit: Wait are Gold Jags the same as axanthic jags? That's what I was picturing, if they are then you have loads of options.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
So far all I got for hybrids are a single kirbensis (not entirely sure what locals mixed) and I have a couple of muppies left (endler, guppy, molly cross). Currently still have both hybrids but going to be giving the muppies to a family friend of ours at some point. Here's a few pics of the muppies I started out with, one of the yellow ones didn't make it but not sure which yellow one it was that died.

P.s. the muppies were kind of an accident from tossing in a male pineapple molly into my line breeding group of endler/guppies.

cameringo_20200203_223826.jpg

cameringo_20200203_223642.jpg

cameringo_20200203_223422.jpg

LouhanKp

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2017
Nope :D I think breeding nice looking hybrids takes a lot of commitment and generations of breeding.At the end you can end up with something really beautiful though.I lack the commitment and patience for it,it seems

Cichlids keeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2020
Massachusetts
Nope :D I think breeding nice looking hybrids takes a lot of commitment and generations of breeding.At the end you can end up with something really beautiful though.I lack the commitment and patience for it,it seems
Yeah, for a lot of things I also lack commitment or patience, but for some reason I am really dedicated to cichlids, hybrids specifically. Maybe it's because cichlids are what got me interested in fish keeping, but IDK.

tthompson67e1r9

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2021
People need to stop thinking of producing hybrids as if they are a one and done cross. Nearly every first generation hybrid is a mutt. Takes typically atleast 2 generations to produce anything worthwhile, has nothing to do with whether the fish look similar or not. I posted a photo of a Chupacabra 625 jag hybrid I produce. He’s f3 to get to this point, 62.5% jag.

936BB400-5439-4F52-B0E0-CF364F7944D8.jpeg

C. Breeze

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2021
Coastal Empire
Your F1 generation lookin glike garbage isn’t an issue. Pick the ones you like the best and cross them to one another. That F2 generation will be all over the map. Lots and lots of phenotypes. That’s where you will find the pheno you want- and then you pick the best exemplars and breed them... from there you cull anything that doesn’t represent your type and you cull pairs that throw high percentage of fry that aren’t to type.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store