A

AquaAlex1993

This is going to be the thread where I will post everything and anything about my somewhat South American community aquarium. I will provide updates, videos, pictures and more. I think you will enjoy seeing my tank. This has always been a dream of mine to own MY very own 6' aquarium and with my love of South American fish, this is my dream aquarium. Dreams do come true!!! Never say never, hehe lol.
These next 2 weeks are going to be FRIGGIN' awesome!!!!
This week by Sunday, I will have driftwood, plants, and everything I will need equipment wise. I may even pick up some fish for QT for the tank.
On Tuesday August 1st, I pick up the tank with the stand, lids, and light and bring it home. It's going to be a good day but a busy one at that. First, of course I get the tank. Then I will come home, and bring it in. Then I will have to drain the 55 gallon and net the fish into a rubbermaid tub, keep all 55 gallons of water. Then move the 55 gallon somewhere else for another QT/Hospital tank unless I decide to do a solo predatory tank maybe wolffish.
Once the 55 gallon is out, time to set the 150 up. Add decor and plants. Fill with the 55 gallons cycled water. Add some fresh water to top it off. Add the same filter and media from the 55 to the bigger tank along with the new filters. Add fish and the tank is filled!!!
New fish I am expecting soon are x2 geophagus winemilleri,, x2 geophagus altifrons, and x1 geophagus pindare and 1 wild caught Leopaldi angelfish. The geos are between 4-6'' each and the altrifrons and winemilleri are paired up the seller believes but they all get along.
Here is my stock:
~ 4x redhook, 2 wide bar silver dollars, and 2 thin bar silverdollars (if i can't find the thin bars, I'll stick with the 2 wide bars)
~ 1x Flagtail Prochilodus
~ 1x Pink Tail Chalceus
~ 3x Red Tail Barracuda (if I can find them)
~ 1 Armatus Payara
~ the geos, angel, and my chocolate and severum for cichlids
~ fancy plecos and catfish
~ bichir/s
I know stock seems so heavy but there will be over filtration, 2 to 4 water changes a week, and pothos plants to keep the nitrates down.
But I am excited.

A

AquaAlex1993

Ok, so now it's time to set up a QT tank. Found some fish I am looking for at a stunning unbeatable price, just need to work out a way to meet we are a little over a hour away.
But I am getting geophagus variants similar to Suri (these including the winemilleri) are my favorites x2 altifrons,x2 winemilleri, and x1 pindare. I'm also getting 2 datnoids and a wild long nosed angelfish. I think I am done with active fish. Just fancy plecos and a few catfish for clean up.

geo w.jpg

geo a.jpg

geo p.jpg

dat.jpg

dat2.jpg

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Hey congrats on the tank, happy for you bro. How big is the tank? I know 6ft but what's the other dimensions?
If I may make a suggestion, not trying to bring you down off this new tank high, but I would skip the dats. They do get huge, unless the tank is big enough.
Love the geos btw wish I had a few myself.

Reactions: AquaAlex1993
A

AquaAlex1993

Hey congrats on the tank, happy for you bro. How big is the tank? I know 6ft but what's the other dimensions?
If I may make a suggestion, not trying to bring you down off this new tank high, but I would skip the dats. They do get huge, unless the tank is big enough.
Love the geos btw wish I had a few myself.
Thanks man!! :) I am very excited for the tank myself.
It is 72 x 18 x 28 according to the seller. I get it Tuesday. Yea I guess you can say that I am on a new fish and tank high LOL.
No worries about bringing me down, I appreciate other people's advice and opinions. I know that Indo datnoids do get big, but from my experience they seem to be such slow growers, I think they would do ok in a 150 for a whiel.
Geophagus are awesome, I've never had the Suri types only the Santaperca species like the leocusta etc. I def want a leocusta again if I can find one. I LOVE the SURI species.
I am lucky because I found some at good size for a good price.
I recommend you get a tank for some geos, I'm sure you'll love them.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
That's a nice tank! I too am a fan of the south Americans and in the process of setting up my new tank. I have oscars and other cichlids mainly but I'm thinking about a school of chalceus. They are definitely cool looking fish.

A

AquaAlex1993

That's a nice tank! I too am a fan of the south Americans and in the process of setting up my new tank. I have oscars and other cichlids mainly but I'm thinking about a school of chalceus. They are definitely cool looking fish.
I know it sounds nice just talking about it, but it will look even nicer once I have it set up.
Chalceus are an awesome looking fish for sure!

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
Congrats on your new dream tank and fish! Always exciting setting up a new tank. Just be prepared that your severum, flagtail and SD's will munch on your plants. Sounds like a nice tank though. And yes, Dats get big. Always wanted one but no room in my tanks at the moment . Looking forward to watching this tank develop.

A

AquaAlex1993

Congrats on your new dream tank and fish! Always exciting setting up a new tank. Just be prepared that your severum, flagtail and SD's will munch on your plants. Sounds like a nice tank though. And yes, Dats get big. Always wanted one but no room in my tanks at the moment . Looking forward to watching this tank develop.
Thank you, yea I am sure they will love the plants. Just will replace them.
They probably won't get to the pothos.
Awesome, you will enjoy this tank.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Thank you, yea I am sure they will love the plants. Just will replace them.
They probably won't get to the pothos.
Awesome, you will enjoy this tank.
Gonna become expensive, get silk or plastic plants

A

AquaAlex1993

Gonna become expensive, get silk or plastic plants
I have them too, so hopefully they will think the real ones are fake,
They won't be able to get to the natural plant aka pothos.
- Alex

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store