AQUASCAPING

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Yep you’re right. Just read up on it. Small invertebrates (snails included) are on the menu.

Reactions: Caveden and 1 2many

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
How do you tell it’s a female bristlenose if it doesn’t have the bristles ?? I’m also clueless about plecos.

Niki_up Niki_up sorry for the disturbance ?. Know any algae eaters which can stay in a 55g and don’t produce tons of waste? Thanks
I read through all the other responses before responding and it seems like your questions have been answered.

there’s nothing you can add to your tank that won’t also add to the bio load of the tank.

the best algae eater is your own hand a a brush or scrubbie.

I don’t think ottos will work in your tank as I think I read you had larger fish in your tank (the ottos could become snacks) ottos also do best in very mature tanks. If you add Nerite snails to your tank you’ll have a bigger problem than algae….the nerite snail eggs are like cement and very hard to remove, more so than algae. If you go with mystery snails they are essentially s**t machines like plecos. If yougo with Siamese algae eaters the true version they will work while small and once they learn how delicious the fish food is they will stop eating the algae and wait for the fish food.

if you want plecos I say definitely go for it, they are awesome! But they won’t be as good at eating algae as you want for the most part. The suggestion of rubber lip is a good one!

one good rule of the hobby is don’t add a fish to your tank to solve a problem. Solve the problem by figuring out why it’s a problem and then fix that problem. Add fish to your tank bc you want to care for and keep them.

Reactions: 1 2many and Deadeye

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
I read through all the other responses before responding and it seems like your questions have been answered.

there’s nothing you can add to your tank that won’t also add to the bio load of the tank.

the best algae eater is your own hand a a brush or scrubbie.

I don’t think ottos will work in your tank as I think I read you had larger fish in your tank (the ottos could become snacks) ottos also do best in very mature tanks. If you add Nerite snails to your tank you’ll have a bigger problem than algae….the nerite snail eggs are like cement and very hard to remove, more so than algae. If you go with mystery snails they are essentially s**t machines like plecos. If yougo with Siamese algae eaters the true version they will work while small and once they learn how delicious the fish food is they will stop eating the algae and wait for the fish food.

if you want plecos I say definitely go for it, they are awesome! But they won’t be as good at eating algae as you want for the most part. The suggestion of rubber lip is a good one!

one good rule of the hobby is don’t add a fish to your tank to solve a problem. Solve the problem by figuring out why it’s a problem and then fix that problem. Add fish to your tank bc you want to care for and keep them.
I don’t really know how to stop algae from occurring. I just thought of getting a small pleco to help keep the tank cleaner. Now my options are either rubbernose or bristlenose I guess after reading your message. How do you differentiate bristlenose from other plecos? Thanks niki

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Another option is an algae scrapper. That might be the best thing to get at this point.
I do scrape off, but i swear it grows back within a day, which I don’t have the time for ☹

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
I don’t really know how to stop algae from occurring. I just thought of getting a small pleco to help keep the tank cleaner. Now my options are either rubbernose or bristlenose I guess after reading your message. How do you differentiate bristlenose from other plecos? Thanks niki
There are a number of ways to reduce algae. Reduce lighting times, less feeding, more water changes, adding a lot of plants to out compete the algae for resources.

honestly if you learn to live with a bit of algae then it make keeping tanks less stressful bc your not always trying to get rid of it lol

all healthy environments in the wild also have algae, it provides a placefor smaller organisms to live that are live fish food for fry , algae also helps use up extra nutrients in the water the same way plants do, just keep the main viewing panel clean of algae.

you honestly should t have any problems knowing the difference between a rubber or bristlenose as they are both commonly available and will be labeled for you. There’s no reason to mis-label these two plecos (which can happen with the more difficult to ID plecos for financial gain).

Reactions: 1 2many and Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Bristles will look heavily armored and more bony, while rubbers are less so.
Might be the high stocking that is fueling the algae.

Reactions: Caveden

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Got a very small blued eyed albino bristlenose pleco. Hope it would be able to get rid of the algae

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Got a very small blued eyed albino bristlenose pleco. Hope it would be able to get rid of the algae
Just so you know they are just called blue eyed lemons and the albino term does not apply bc it has blue eyes and not red eyes.

I have also noticed (maybe bc I feed well) that they don’t do much for of algae control

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store