• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
I don't believe that BPs are hybrids.
I believe they are simply deformed mutants that instead of being culled, certain deformities have been encouraged to produce what some people believe are sellable odd traits, in the same manner as balloon goldfish have been made, or certain dog breeds are produced.
what leads you to believe that? not that i disagree , but it's been so long a given that they are a CA hybrid of some sort involving red devils/ midas x some other unknown fish...i've heard sev , but of course that would be impossible..

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I have seen pictures of red head/red devil crosses (I think those are the bp parent species) and most were normal, but some had deformities. Someone probably had the funny idea to play with those instead of the normal fish.

GentleGiantsCichlidKeeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2020
Toronto, Canada
I have seen pictures of red head/red devil crosses (I think those are the bp parent species) and most were normal, but some had deformities. Someone probably had the funny idea to play with those instead of the normal fish.
That's an interesting thought.

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
as long as the fish's health isnt affected then there isnt really an issue right? like i see the problem with the screwed up goldfish and from what ive just read the parrots have it not so great but other hybrids seem like they're doing perfectly fine
as stated earlier in this thread , i have a bp that's 8+ yo , and i'd bet that she isn't "suffering".. i'd tell those that make the case that bp's should not exist based on "cruelty" to tell that to my fish that seems as happy as any fish i have...my thought is that there is more longevity/ health issues that involve weak breeding habits in general , that end up providing us with inbred stock as a habit at many lfs's

GentleGiantsCichlidKeeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2020
Toronto, Canada
as stated earlier in this thread , i have a bp that's 8+ yo , and i'd bet that she isn't "suffering".. i'd tell those that make the case that bp's should not exist based on "cruelty" to tell that to my fish that seems as happy as any fish i have...my thought is that there is more longevity/ health issues that involve weak breeding habits in general , that end up providing us with inbred stock as a habit at many lfs's
Mine either, Lol!

Reactions: lp85253

MatteoTheEnder22

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2020
Miami
I don't believe that BPs are hybrids.
I believe they are simply deformed mutants that instead of being humanely culled, certain deformities have been encouraged to produce what some people believe are sellable odd traits, in the same manner as balloon goldfish have been made, or certain dog breeds are produced.
duanes duanes I respectfully disagree with that claim their is actually a thread on here about an mfk member actually making a blood parrot hybrid I just can’t seem too find the thread.

Jaws22

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2017
to me that seems like its just care errors, same as youd have for any fish right? i dont breed so i wouldnt know for sure but thats what logic dictates

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store