Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Just went looking. Found this:
The genes are probably incompatible in the first place, but work enough to survive.

MatteoTheEnder22

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2020
Miami
Just went looking. Found this:
The genes are probably incompatible in the first place, but work enough to survive.
Its similar but the one I’m talking about is much more recent and if I remember correctly its a hybrid between a severum and a red devil.

Jaws22

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2017
if that kind of shape can come from more than one mix then wouldnt you assume that its a common deformity rather than the exclusive product of the crossing?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
In theory, but like flowerhorns, nobody actually knows what the true parent species of parrots are, so it can be assumed it is only in this. I haven’t seen anything outside a parrot with certain mutations like the mouth and eyes.

Jaws22

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2017
and regardless its not like theyll get removed from the hobby. theyre extremely popular here in sri lanka, almost every tank and every fish shop has them and as long as theres demand therell be supply

Jaws22

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2017
so at this point is it really even worth the arguement? if the winner of said arguement isnt even concievably going to have an effect then whats the point?

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Whatever the case, hybrid or mutation, the problem I have with them is they displace knowledge of and interest in naturally interesting and/or beautiful species with a malformed novelty, and their popularity multiplies this effect. I'd prefer to see fishkeeping as a gateway to education about and appreciation for nature, which provides its own interesting oddities. Dyed, tattoed, glow in the dark, and certain other novelty fish are distractions and obstacles to what I'd like to see in the hobby.

Sure, hybrids occur in nature and nature does its own linebreeding, so I'm not against all selective fish breeding. It's a matter of degree. Even in natural fish I have my preferences, beauty's in the eye of the beholder, but some fish simply take human manipulation too far for my tastes.

Reactions: FESHMAN
Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store