Arowana Knifefish???

Jush

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2019
North West UK
www.instagram.com
Hi,

one of my local fish shops has just told me they're getting Arowana Knife fish in this week, but what the hell is an Arowana knife fish?

Ive done some reading and come across them being called marble or pom pom knife fish but is this true?

What I want to know is how big they get, their aggression, etc because it sounds and looks like an awesome fish.

Id plan to keep this fish with my silver arowanas, african arowana, soon to come asian arowana alongside many other preds like stingrays, oscar, datnoids, etc

Thanks for any information

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Think they mean African arowana.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
The Papyrocranus afrer are sometimes known as the arowana knife.
Great fish once they settle in.I havetwo including a fifteen incher that I've had almost ten years.Here is my little guy.
59666466-E0B0-4C23-8368-9D550322669D.jpeg

Jush

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2019
North West UK
www.instagram.com
The Papyrocranus afrer are sometimes known as the arowana knife.
Great fish once they settle in.I havetwo including a fifteen incher that I've had almost ten years.Here is my little guy.
View attachment 1383955
thats awesome, what are like aggression wise and stuff want to keep it with aros, rays, dats, etc

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
In my experience they are most aggressive when they are small and young.They usually hide during the day and come out in the dark to hunt for food,that is when they nip at sleeping fish.Over time they learn to eat pellets and other common foods then they will mostly ignore other fish.

Reactions: Matteus and Racersk

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Well,twelve inches is a pretty good size for one to be able to hold it's own against any aggression from another fish but you seem to have quite a bit going on in that tank so it's kind of hard to say.

Jush

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2019
North West UK
www.instagram.com
Well,twelve inches is a pretty good size for one to be able to hold it's own against any aggression from another fish but you seem to have quite a bit going on in that tank so it's kind of hard to say.
What do you keep yours with and how are they with them fish?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
What do you keep yours with and how are they with them fish?
My big boy is in my datnoid tank.They range in size and he mostly ignores them as he cruises around the tank.
He will get in the mood to pick with a few of them every now and then and that consists of pressing his open mouth up against them and pushing them until one of them has had enough and snaps at him and chases him off.
The smaller afer is about four inches and hides in it's cave in the growout tank most of the time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store