Arowana stopped eating after I put in the Oscar

VettesAndAros

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2016
Texas
My silver Arowana was eating perfectly fine (hikari pellets, frozen bloodworms, etc) Then I put in a tiger Oscar and now the aro refuses everything I give him. It's been 2 days and the Oscar is out competing my aro for food and the Oscar spits a lot of food out. The aro jumped and lost some scales because he is afraid of the Oscar but the Oscar isn't aggressive towards him at all. Their in a 125G tank the aro is about 18" and the Oscar is 9"

VettesAndAros

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2016
Texas
I gave them jumbo carnisticks and now the aro is eating, but the Oscar kinda worries me a bit, he eats the pellet, chews it into tiny pieces and then spits it out... I know they're messy eaters but I don't think he's actually eating it. Can I pellet train the Oscar the same way as an Arowana or is it different?

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
My three oscars back then did the same thing, they gulped food, then it came out of their gills in pieces. They are that messy in my experience.

They grew from finger size to arm size in six months, so I suppose they still ate plenty enough. ;)

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
is that a standard 125 at roughly 18" wide?

maybe the tanks a bit small for a fish that size, and now having to share with another fish is stressing it too much.

my 2 cents.

Reactions: Owens and Madou

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
is that a standard 125 at roughly 18" wide?

maybe the tanks a bit small for a fish that size, and now having to share with another fish is stressing it too much.

my 2 cents.
Was thinking that too, but I didn't want to be that guy. You're that guy now, so I can agree!

Reactions: Owens

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
I'm that guy every single time lol. I don't mind, call it as I see it.
And that comes up way too often when it comes to aros. Anything under 180 is asking for trouble, and 180 only holds the smallest species, just barely!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store