Azul grow out thread

Rhyno8

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2017
Did you ever figure out what kind of bass there were ?
Yeah 100% Azul there starting to get more used to people. I think being out in the shed they don’t get the foot traffic in front of the tank there all coloured up at feeding time then they sort of hide out in the driftwood. Definitely loving cichla though awesome to watch grow

Peckoltia

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
Azuls are looking like they are getting some size on them now. Lots of people with them in Australia now - breeders really pumped the market full of them. Be interesting to see how many remain in 2 years +

Mine are growing like weeds.

azul2 (1).jpeg

azul2 (2).jpeg

Rhyno8

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2017
Azuls are looking like they are getting some size on them now. Lots of people with them in Australia now - breeders really pumped the market full of them. Be interesting to see how many remain in 2 years +

Mine are growing like weeds.

View attachment 1397575

View attachment 1397576
Yours are looking mint! Mine are really starting to hit the growth spurt there getting proper competitive for food now. I feel like if I had 10 bass or so to start with it would of given me better growth. Yeah they are on every Australian store list or gumtree add your right be very interesting to see! How big are yours pushing now? I wonder how many different spawns are on the market so many varied sizes going about

Peckoltia

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
Yep more bass when young is always a winner, they thrive on competition for food.

I have 2 at 25cm and 1 at 20cm, being kept with 6 Xingus all around the same size.

I got mine at the same time as a few mates, and mine are the biggest by far. Having said that they went straight into a tank with more bass, then into an 8 footer not long after, and have been pumped with food twice daily. I went and saw a friend who got his at the same time as mine, he has a runt that would be lucky to be 6cm and the other two are around 15cm or so. I don't think theirs heaps of batches of them, just different care and growth.

Reactions: Tony A.

Rhyno8

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2017
Yep more bass when young is always a winner, they thrive on competition for food.

I have 2 at 25cm and 1 at 20cm, being kept with 6 Xingus all around the same size.

I got mine at the same time as a few mates, and mine are the biggest by far. Having said that they went straight into a tank with more bass, then into an 8 footer not long after, and have been pumped with food twice daily. I went and saw a friend who got his at the same time as mine, he has a runt that would be lucky to be 6cm and the other two are around 15cm or so. I don't think theirs heaps of batches of them, just different care and growth.
Yeah for sure, I think the tank space always helps there will be plenty spending there lives out in 180gallon or less tanks I recon. I’ve got a bag of massivore waiting for when they finish there current sinking pellets well my rays Sinking pellets haha Nearly have to feed the bass until they explode so the rays can get there fill. I also feed mine morning and night. My biggest is starting to carry the body spangling like your guys. Yours still look next level! What’s your water like gh and kh wise?

Reactions: Tony A.

Eric A

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Australia
Interesting comments about growth rates. I was about to say the same thing. I have experienced pretty mediocre growth with my two. When I got them they would have been around 8-9cm and now I would put the bigger of the two at around 12-13cm. But they’ve got great body mass on them, that’s were I’m seeing more growth at this stage. I’m somewhat expecting the length growth phase to come in shortly now that they’ve got some meat on them.

In regards to flooding of the market, I’m not going to lie I was not ready to get any peacock bass. But after missing out on the Tems that were flooding the market in the same way a few years back I couldn’t stop myself from grabbing at least two. All it takes is the two or three reliable breeders in the country to have something happen and the supply is gone just like that. That’s what happened to the Tems. There was one main breeder in Melbourne that was an experienced breeder pumping them out. He had to move them on and after that that supply just disappeared. Hopefully with the remaining Tems someone might be able to get some young produced again, there’s a long long line of people who would jump at them.

Reactions: BigShawn and Rhyno8

Rhyno8

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2017
Interesting comments about growth rates. I was about to say the same thing. I have experienced pretty mediocre growth with my two. When I got them they would have been around 8-9cm and now I would put the bigger of the two at around 12-13cm. But they’ve got great body mass on them, that’s were I’m seeing more growth at this stage. I’m somewhat expecting the length growth phase to come in shortly now that they’ve got some meat on them.

In regards to flooding of the market, I’m not going to lie I was not ready to get any peacock bass. But after missing out on the Tems that were flooding the market in the same way a few years back I couldn’t stop myself from grabbing at least two. All it takes is the two or three reliable breeders in the country to have something happen and the supply is gone just like that. That’s what happened to the Tems. There was one main breeder in Melbourne that was an experienced breeder pumping them out. He had to move them on and after that that supply just disappeared. Hopefully with the remaining Tems someone might be able to get some young produced again, there’s a long long line of people who would jump at them.
I would definitely be standing in that long line haha id even get a bigger tank to have tems. One of my bass is the same after hitting 12cm started piling on mass. I’ve noticed a lot of more exotic cichlids and fish being available lately seen black nasties and some uaru then again I’m in Tasmania so we’re probably a bit more limited on that front. Got the chance for a tsn at the moment so tempting.

Eric A

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Australia
I think we’re looking in the same places! I really want a ray again so I’m going to pass on the TSNs at this stage but it’s so tempting!

Rhyno8

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2017
I think we’re looking in the same places! I really want a ray again so I’m going to pass on the TSNs at this stage but it’s so tempting!
Haha definitely the same places I recently bought 3 rays 2 Motoro and a hybrid. Couldn’t quite justify Leo prices. If you don’t mind me asking how much was the tsn you looked at?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store