Azul grow out thread

Eric A

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Australia
Thanks mate, I don’t know if I’m going to be able to carry on that type of aquascape when they’re bigger though haha. Got them on the 24th of October.

Peckoltia

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
Looking good Eric - what size tank are they in?

I got mine on the 5th of September @ 6cm or so. So I would say you are right mine would have come from a previous batch - then their is the batch yours have come from now a new one. Seems the breeder(s) are consistently producing more and more - seems like Azul Bass will follow the same cycle as most cichlids in Australia - breeding will them going make good going, price will consistently drop to a point where the effort outweighs the gain then there will be none.

In all honesty - I'm waiting for a friend of mine to keep a batch of Monoc eggs - I reckon a well conditioned male monoc is hard to beat.

Looks like I have 2 boys and a Girl. Two big brusiers always flexing their muscles and one a bit smaller that stays well away.

Last edited:

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
Yeah for sure, I think the tank space always helps there will be plenty spending there lives out in 180gallon or less tanks I recon. I’ve got a bag of massivore waiting for when they finish there current sinking pellets well my rays Sinking pellets haha Nearly have to feed the bass until they explode so the rays can get there fill. I also feed mine morning and night. My biggest is starting to carry the body spangling like your guys. Yours still look next level! What’s your water like gh and kh wise?
A 180 isn’t big enough to keep more than maybe 2 azul for more than maybe 2 years let alone even more... they’re the second largest bass behind tem/Pinima

Not trying to kill your high just being serious. Azuls get taller and wider than a lot of bass too and an adult needs an 8x3 minimum with 4-5 needing at least an 8x4.

I felt bad keeping mine in a 325g after 8 inches so I rushed the upgrade and now all mine are in a 9’x5’x2’

Yours are looking gorgeous though, I’m sure once you see how bulky they get you’ll naturally want to upgrade them anyway

You can find a lot of great deals if you keep an eye on Craigslist. My 9x5 only cost me $1300 and 7 hours of drive time

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Matteus

Eric A

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Australia
They’re in a little 3x18x18 for the time being. Then going to a 6x2x2 after Christmas. Eventual tank is going to be an 8x3x2.5 but that will most likely happen end of next year.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Rhyno8

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2017
Looking good Eric - what size tank are they in?

I got mine on the 5th of September @ 6cm or so. So I would say you are right mine would have come from a previous batch - then their is the batch yours have come from now a new one. Seems the breeder(s) are consistently producing more and more - seems like Azul Bass will follow the same cycle as most cichlids in Australia - breeding will them going make good going, price will consistently drop to a point where the effort outweighs the gain then there will be none.

In all honesty - I'm waiting for a friend of mine to keep a batch of Monoc eggs - I reckon a well conditioned male monoc is hard to beat.

Looks like I have 2 boys and a Girl. Two big brusiers always flexing their muscles and one a bit smaller that stays well away.
You’ve hit the nail on the head when it comes to the breeding until there is no profit then we won’t see the fish around for years. I agree on the well conditioned mono i bred some around 18 months ago the father was a big bruiser

Eric A

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Australia
I was chatting to the breeder who bred mine and he is certain he was the only breeder. He’s since lost the male, so no more coming from him. Peck, where’d you see the fry advertised?

Rhyno you’re not wrong that’s a stunner. Good to see good monos still around in Aus, see some pretty poor quality for sale in shops and online at times.

Rhyno8

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2017
I was chatting to the breeder who bred mine and he is certain he was the only breeder. He’s since lost the male, so no more coming from him. Peck, where’d you see the fry advertised?

Rhyno you’re not wrong that’s a stunner. Good to see good monos still around in Aus, see some pretty poor quality for sale in shops and online at times.
I saw some on gumtree and smiths aquarium have a tank full on Facebook. Did you get yours from Brandon? That’s we’re mine we’re sourced in a group buy

Eric A

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Australia
Smiths are the rest of Brandon’s I believe. I did see the recent add on gumtree but that ads been up before with the same photos etc so I think it’s a repost, but I’d say the fish are actually older than the photos would make them seem.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store