Baby rtc feeding?

Longfindragon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
I have a baby rtc (about 3inch) and I was wondering what's the safest way to minimize the growth rate without compromising health. I have him in a 65g now and have been feeding him blood worms and cut up raw frozen prawns. Is it safe to feed him every second day or 2 days on 1 off? I know his growth is inevitable but I'm just trying to buy some time until we move house in a few months.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Won't matter it will still grow. Feed every day still cuz it would be a bit cruel otherwise, just don't gut load him. Your looking at a 1" difference at best at the cost of sacrificing proper nutrition so it develops strong and healthy organs and instincts, not worth starving it during its period of crucial development. Either way months or years you will likely need to give him up anyway, might as well grow him strong.

Longfindragon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
Even if I skip a feed every 2 days? I'm using all my willpower and borrowed strength not to buy anymore baby monsters no matter how cute because I know my hands are already going to be pretty full soon with this guy.

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I've never done it on purpose but from general considerations and from what I read around, it would seem one is able to slow the growth by feeding less rather than more.

It's, however, both the frequency and the amount that matters. Usually we'd feed an RTC when its tummy goes back to flat and/or they start cruising around searching for food. You might give it an extra day with a flat tummy.

Make sure it absolutely, positively cannot swallow anything inedible in its tank. They do it even when not all that hungry or not hungry at all.

As for the cruelty notion, I'd think it is up to you to decide.

Remember, it's a bell curve: some have good genes others not so much. If you got one from champion parents, it may grow as fast or faster on less food than an average RTC on an average diet, which is about 1.5" a month on average in the first year. If you "lucked out" and got a runt, that'd be the other extreme.

The less food one feeds, the better quality it should be, a complete and properly-digestible nutrition package.

##############################################################

Growth is also exponentially dependent on temperature. Dropping the temp (still well within a proper range) by say 5F may slow the growth by 25%-50%. At lower temp, it will naturally take longer time for the tummy to go flat and for the hunger to manifest.

Longfindragon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
I've never done it on purpose but from general considerations and from what I read around, it would seem one is able to slow the growth by feeding less rather than more.

It's, however, both the frequency and the amount that matters. Usually we'd feed an RTC when its tummy goes back to flat and/or they start cruising around searching for food. You might give it an extra day with a flat tummy.

Make sure it absolutely, positively cannot swallow anything inedible in its tank. They do it even when not all that hungry or not hungry at all.

As for the cruelty notion, I'd think it is up to you to decide.

Remember, it's a bell curve: some have good genes others not so much. If you got one from champion parents, it may grow as fast or faster on less food than an average RTC on an average diet, which is about 1.5" a month on average in the first year. If you "lucked out" and got a runt, that'd be the other extreme.

The less food one feeds, the better quality it should be, a complete and properly-digestible nutrition package.

##############################################################

Growth is also exponentially dependent on temperature. Dropping the temp (still well within a proper range) by say 5F may slow the growth by 25%-50%. At lower temp, it will naturally take longer time for the tummy to go flat and for the hunger to manifest.
thanks for this! I've been feeding him small amounts almost every day, just enough to see a little bulge in his stomach and skipping a day here and there...he's still grown 3 inches easily! Champion parents it is then I guess.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Won't matter it will still grow. Feed every day still cuz it would be a bit cruel otherwise, just don't gut load him. Your looking at a 1" difference at best at the cost of sacrificing proper nutrition so it develops strong and healthy organs and instincts, not worth starving it during its period of crucial development. Either way months or years you will likely need to give him up anyway, might as well grow him strong.
Agreed.

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
thanks for this! I've been feeding him small amounts almost every day, just enough to see a little bulge in his stomach and skipping a day here and there...he's still grown 3 inches easily! Champion parents it is then I guess.
It will be more evident in about a year or two. Fish often or rather usually grow in spurts. The growth rate (per month) we usually speak of are average over 1-2 years.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store