Bamboo shark is turning red

lovesharksmorethanmyself

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2018
Southern California
PLEASE help I am beginning to get desperate. A few days ago I made a post concerning some red marks on my youngest bamboo that appeared to be abrassions. He has been hatched for around a month. As of tonight, all of his white bands are a tint of red and his underbelly is COMPLETELY bruised up and red. He didn't attempt to eat tonight, he swam away and hid when he smelled the food. He appeared to have great difficulty swimming as well. The redness has seemed to become quite a large problem after I treated the tank with PraziPro last night as they have flukes that were brought in on a tang. How do I fix this and help him? I will do anything. Could the medication be burning him? My older bamboo (around a foot) is displaying no negative side effects, no redness, is eating, and all around very healthy. The problem is soley with my youngest.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
PLEASE help I am beginning to get desperate. A few days ago I made a post concerning some red marks on my youngest bamboo that appeared to be abrassions. He has been hatched for around a month. As of tonight, all of his white bands are a tint of red and his underbelly is COMPLETELY bruised up and red. He didn't attempt to eat tonight, he swam away and hid when he smelled the food. He appeared to have great difficulty swimming as well. The redness has seemed to become quite a large problem after I treated the tank with PraziPro last night as they have flukes that were brought in on a tang. How do I fix this and help him? I will do anything. Could the medication be burning him? My older bamboo (around a foot) is displaying no negative side effects, no redness, is eating, and all around very healthy. The problem is soley with my youngest.

Only thing I can suggest is doing a water change asap.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
A Aquadog

lovesharksmorethanmyself

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2018
Southern California
Will do. I just did one last night so I will do another first thing in the morning. I'm fearing the medication may have been too strong for him? Despite the already present abrasions, he was doing fine in every other way and was eating and swimming healthily up until I treated the tank, around 24 hours after I put the medication in is when he became very red and his underbelly is just awful. I just added carbon into the filter to begin pulling out medication. I also have concerns that the abrasions could have, or will lead to, a bacterial infection. If this happens, what are the recommended steps I take to address it?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Will do. I just did one last night so I will do another first thing in the morning. I'm fearing the medication may have been too strong for him? Despite the already present abrasions, he was doing fine in every other way and was eating and swimming healthily up until I treated the tank, around 24 hours after I put the medication in is when he became very red and his underbelly is just awful. I just added carbon into the filter to begin pulling out medication. I also have concerns that the abrasions could have, or will lead to, a bacterial infection. If this happens, what are the recommended steps I take to address it?

Let's hope for no bacterial infection and redness clears. How is the pup breathing?

lovesharksmorethanmyself

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2018
Southern California
6C131447-6ECB-40B8-9B94-D52CDF6B49A1.png 3E3749E5-A11A-48C6-8CDF-6BFA3BDB1278.png A 20g quarantine finally read that is was cycled this morning so I moved him into there to get him out of the medicated water. I am completely blown away and astounded at how quickly this spread. He attempts to swim but is too weak. He can do a little bit of swimming but has very little control over his movements. Tried to place him on his stomach and he floats to his side or back. I am praying that because there is no medication in this tank the abundance of clean water and oxygen will provide some help. Salinity is at 023 and the temp is gradually raising to 82. I have never felt so sick in my life.

Aquadog

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2009
CA
Quarantine was a good idea, but I would remove the sand. Keep it bare bottom to avoid irritating the skin on its belly any further. Keep a low current to avoid pushing the shark around and him fighting current, but highly oxygenated water. Throw in an airstone if you have one. You can try to get some antibiotics at your local Fish Shop or Pet smart, or Petco. Seen boxes of API brand medicines there as well.

It could he an infection from a scratch or something that was in your sand or sharp edges on the rocks. I avoid crushed coral and only use 2-3 gauge sand and I hammered down any obvious points on some of my rocks. The rock is still sharp, but figured it wouldn't hurt.

The not eating I wouldn't stress about yet. They can go a while without eating. Try to get the redness to go away and it's breathing and activity normal first.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store