Best pellet for flowerhorn

ol78hunter

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
South Dakota
What is everyone thoughts on best pellet food for flowerhorn. I am not talking humpy head or any of those to grow huge koks. Just a good staple pellet for health and color. Right now I'm using Hikari blood-red parrot+. This is what he was on at my lfs. He really likes this stuff. I've also looked into Sumo Red and NLS ultra red. These are both pretty expensive. Wondering if its worth it. I use NLS flakes and pellets with my other fish and I know it's a good brand. What are you all feeding for pellets?

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
NLS is pretty good, I am feeding ultrared to my fish. Northfin is good too but was in controversy about use of preservative ethoxyquin at more than ideal amount. There are claims that it does or doesn't affect fish health. So keeping that aside their krill pro seems like a good supplement (not staple diet) for fish. NLS standard cichlid pallets + krill pro would be a good combo. Or get northfin cichlid or tropical sticks and add krill pro as supplement. Another cost effective alternative is hikari bio gold plus and blood parrot plus that you are already feeding.

Adding a veggie pallet is a good idea, I checked hikari, NLS and northfin content, NLS is by far best. Hikari is mostly fish meal, wheat, starch. Northfin has only one type of algae. Algaemax has 6 different types of algae. Veggie pallets would be good for pearls and overall health.

I don't know much about sumo red but I don't trust them either.

ol78hunter

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
South Dakota
NLS is pretty good, I am feeding ultrared to my fish. Northfin is good too but was in controversy about use of preservative ethoxyquin at more than ideal amount. There are claims that it does or doesn't affect fish health. So keeping that aside their krill pro seems like a good supplement (not staple diet) for fish. NLS standard cichlid pallets + krill pro would be a good combo. Or get northfin cichlid or tropical sticks and add krill pro as supplement. Another cost effective alternative is hikari bio gold plus and blood parrot plus that you are already feeding.

Adding a veggie pallet is a good idea, I checked hikari, NLS and northfin content, NLS is by far best. Hikari is mostly fish meal, wheat, starch. Northfin has only one type of algae. Algaemax has 6 different types of algae. Veggie pallets would be good for pearls and overall health.

I don't know much about sumo red but I don't trust them either.
The price isn't a big deal. I'll pay the extra money. My question is is it worth the extra 10-20 bucks to go with nls ultra red or sumo red over the blood red parrot+?

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
The price isn't a big deal. I'll pay the extra money. My question is is it worth the extra 10-20 bucks to go with nls ultra red or sumo red over the blood red parrot+?
I can see corn, wheat and rice in ingredients, so I think NLS is a improvement, worth it is subjective.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
I’d keep the blood red parrot+ because you can alternate your pellets but for a staple diet I would go with nls ultra red over sumo red any day.

Reactions: Ruturaj

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
That blood red parrot+ seems to be doing your flowerhorn very good but I would add NLS into that mix for sure.

Ozzie73

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2019
I have a fishroom with multiple tanks so I have to buy in bulk. I used to get special food for my flowerhorn but this stuff seems to work just as well and the ingredients are pretty good. They have smaller quantities also.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I
Algaemax has 6 different types of algae

It actually has 9 different types of algae/seaweed.

I raised all of my FH on regular formula NLS.

Plenty enough krill in the regular formulas without adding any additional krill. In fact too much krill isn't good for a fish, due to the fluoride content. The issue with krill, and this appears to be at the least species dependant, as well as water hardness, is the effect that the fluoride found in krill can have on the growth and overall health of a fish. Fluoride can accumulate in the kidneys and bones, which is also why the EU restricts the amount that farms can use in their feed, for fish destined for human consumption.

Reactions: Ruturaj
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store