wow cool unique tank.

Samps

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
Lakeland, FL
The TRUST;840466; said:
Cool looking tank.

But I'd put more bottom wood support on each cube then the side with the overflow you just cut a hole in the wood. I think that wood be better in supporting and distributing teh weight of the tank.
I was going to do that but the guy said it would hold...

I think I am going to wait until the plumbing is in and then put a few extra blocks underneath to support before filling w/water. That should do the same thing, right?

Good advice Trust... ;)

The TRUST

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2005
Miami, FL
Samps;840488; said:
I was going to do that but the guy said it would hold...

I think I am going to wait until the plumbing is in and then put a few extra blocks underneath to support before filling w/water. That should do the same thing, right?

Good advice Trust... ;)

No problem. What I would do is still put more wood and since there is more wood you can add more blocks underneath it as well. Don't wait for the plumbing is done. It's better to do it first before everything is done.

Don't go by what people say "It should hold" If for some reason it doens't hold all the guy can say is "Whoops! I guess I was wrong. I guess It didn't hold"

So it's really better safe than sorry IMO.

I mean a little extra wood and blocks can save you the heartache if ever your current setup doesn't hold.

The TRUST

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2005
Miami, FL
I personally don't trust the concrete block very much so the more of them the better. I have used tons of them in my backyard and they are brittle and chip away easily sometimes. So I get kind of weary if I use them to support something very heavy.

The more the better and I'd put as much as I can as possible.

Samps

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
Lakeland, FL
The TRUST;840501; said:
No problem. What I would do is still put more wood and since there is more wood you can add more blocks underneath it as well.

Don't go by what people say "It should hold" If for some reason it doens't hold all the guy can say is "Whoops! I guess I was wrong. I guess It didn't hold"

So it's really better safe than sorry IMO.

I mean a little extra wood and blocks can save you the heartache if ever your current setup doesn't hold.
Agreed. I have more wood and more blocks but I cannot lift the tank up again from where it sits and create a solid wood sheet. It cost me quite a bit to rent "lifts" for the tank in the first place. haha

My solution is to put more "Pylons of Blocks" around the center, mimicing what I have around the perimeter of the tank. Ya dig?? ;)

The TRUST

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2005
Miami, FL
Samps;840508; said:
Agreed. I have more wood and more blocks but I cannot lift the tank up again from where it sits and create a solid wood sheet. It cost me quite a bit to rent "lifts" for the tank in the first place. haha

My solution is to put more "Pylons of Blocks" around the center, mimicing what I have around the perimeter of the tank. Ya dig?? ;)

You should try using a car jack. That works for me :)

If you just put the cement blocks with out the wood supprt all the weight of the tank will add more pressure on the areas where there is no blocks. so you might get a downward bowing effect on the bottom and that will make the acrylic areas spported by the blocks go upwards.

So Imagine if you hold your finger up and put a sheet of paper of top of it and have someone force your finger through it. That is a possibilty that could happen to your tank the acrylic on the bottom is the paper and your finger represent the cement blocks. Now say You add a piece of cardboard between your finger and the paper. Chances are you wont be able to push your finger through unless of course you exert more effect in forcing it through.

Samps

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
Lakeland, FL
I guess I'm not wording it right... I am talking about positioning more support w/wood on top of the cement blocks to fill in the open spaces in the pictures above.

Basically, under each "cube" I am going to add another 4 columns for structural support. :)

That should take care of it considering it has a 2" acrylic sheet under the entire aquarium anyway...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store